Traveling with a can...

decanuck

Have the opportunity to hunt in Texas this fall. So I called my local ATF branch, Manchester, NH, and asked what is required for travel with a can. My neighboring state, Massachusetts, does not let you own a can, but Boston is the major airport. He was very helpful and even checked with ATF legal to ensure he had answers.

Here's what I was told today and I hope this helps those wondering:
-They are considered a firearm and need to be checked with your firearm/luggage.
-You do not need to inform the ATF that you will be traveling out of state with your can.
-Fly out of your state that allows you to own a can.
-If you will have fly out of an airport in a state that does not allow you to own a can, your options are to ship it to yourself and pick it up at your destination in a locked box or roll the dice to see if the TSA or local state police will inspect your bag when checking in at the airport.

I would check with your local branch also.

Thanks for sharing.. But, doesn't that seem odd that you have a Federal lic to have that item, and while traveling to another state, one state is going to say that you cannot bring that muffler that you have Federal ATF approval to own??

It would be nice if the ATF would come up with a rule that would prevent states from charging or making an issue out of travelers passing through and not using their muffler (like drivers lic do)

I check this out also because I live in Indiana and the wife and I were taking Amtrak to the Predator Master Hunt in Elko Nevada. The problem I had was I had to leave through Union Station "Chicago"
frown.gif

I called the ATF, the Illinois State Police, email the Illinois Govener. wrote two emails to legislators. The bottom line was, a suppressor is illegal in Illinois. Having it in your possession constitutes a felony regardless how it's packed or carried. I asked about the Interstate Transportation Act and was told nope they are illegal in Illinois.
We need to have the Feds spell out suppressor are added to the Interstate transportation act to solve this type of issue.
It's ridiculous I can transport a .50 BMG but not a 9 oz tube that can kill no one by its self.

When, I go out of state.
I ship everything UPS or FedEx to a local gun shop close to where I am hunting.
I have no problems. Then, let them ship it home to my house.
Just have someone sign for it. Cost me a few dollars, less than $100.
I buy my ammo at that gun store, all problems solved.

Back