Thermal for less than 150 yards

wiiawiwb

I'm looking to scout out an area where I backpack into. It is entirely forest, rather than fields, and I'd like to get a thermal imager for scanning up to 150 yards. Since there are no fields nearby so being able to reach to distances of 500 yards, or more, isn't necessary.

I'm willing to spend somewhere around $2,000+/- and was looking at the Pulsar HD19a but was not sure whether I should wait for any new models being introduced.

I'm open to any recommendations of a thermal unit.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my 19a, works fine for detection in the fields I hunt in NY. If I was gonna buy new it wouldn't be a 19a, there are better options for the same $$ now. I wouldn't hesitate on a used 19a if the price was right, as guys upgrade I believe more will be available.

There's a lot of radiant heat in a forest situation. Trees, rocks, logs all have a heat signature, you'd be looking for the moving heat signature. I tried to recover a lost dog in the woods and walked up on a lot of rocks.

I toyed with the idea of trying to hunt in the woods but shooting with lights and/or NV w/IR has it's own set or problems as any kind of light will reflect in the woods. Thermal scanning and shooting should work but nobody seems to be doing it in the woods.

Don't know off top of my head, just read posts here as units have been discussed. Not sure which models offer which features and since I'm not looking to upgrade haven't kept track. I'd use the "search" on those models you've mentioned.

Last edited:
I say wait for FLIR q-14b to hit the market seen some taking deposits already. Awesome super small, excellent image, and price point excellent. It looks way better than anything else out there in the 2000$ price range in my opinion.

Pulsar uses letters and number which can be confusing at times. Two general questions:

1) It seems the Helion models are similar in cost to the Quantums. Is this correct?

The Helion QX30F monocular goes for about $2,500.
The Quantum Lite XQ30V monocular goes of about $2,400.

2) Why would anyone consider the Quantum series if it costs about the same but offers fewer options than the Helion which offers onboard recording, wifi, USB port, waterproof, and more?

I will always be using the thermal to scan while in a forest and expect the longest distance to be about 150 yards. Doesn't that argue for selecting a larger vs smaller FOV?

Isn't the better comparison the Quantum Lite XQ23V vs the Helion HQ30F and which of those two would be better for just scanning in a 150yd scenario?

You can view my comparison of the XQ23V to the HD19A in the following link.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...538#Post3091538

The 23V doesn't present a very sharp image plus it has 1.8x native mag. which isn't all that conducive to close in work. While I'm sure the Helion XQ30F presents a far better image, it has also a native mag of 2.5x.

Personally, I sent my XQ23V back to the dealer because it wasn't as good an image as my HD19A produced and the 19A is much better for close work with it's wide fov from the 1x native mag. while still spotting targets out to over 500 yds. when needed.

Last edited:
More FOV is always better especially close in, but how you scan with the thermal also has effects as well. Will you be standing? If seated will you be on a swivel chair? Will you helmet mount the thermal or hold it in your hand? All of those don't change the FOV, but when used correctly allow you greater rotational movement which somewhat negates the loss of FOV which comes with more magnification.

Personally in a forest scenario like this I think you're just going to be extremely disappointed in what you can't see. In my opinion when you look through there it's going to be a mess just because there's way too much heat signatures off of the trees and rocks.

I will be mostly be in a fixed position scanning from a chair. I will move from spot to spot.

Here is a video of deer in the woods from what looks to me to be a narrow FOV (video doesn't say). This would concern me if the thermal unit I got couldn't view out wider than this.

Deer in the woods

Compare that to the Pulsar HD19s which has a 27x21 FOV which is pretty wide. This seems like it would fit the bill.

HD19s [urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYAIZhrrQOQ/url]

The newest Pulsars that do a have a wider FOV, like the Helion XP28, come with a lofty price tag too. I'd like to stay below $2,500.

You can still find some XD19S monoculars and they have all the features of the newer XQ models, but I believe produce a sharper image and with the FOV that you desire.

Speaking of 19, Pulsar makes a Helion XQ19F and it has a 19.5 FOV. It would be perfect.

The only problem is it is only sold in Europe.

That's because Pulsar has discontinued that product.
thumbdown.gif

Back