Quickload

357cj5

Hi,
I have a question about Quickload. It appears to list 22-250 as a 65000psi cartridge and the 22-250AI at 57986. Is this correct? Am I using the program wrong?
Thanks

It does have resident numbers for that. They are not reliable as a top end. You can go in and adjust it. The AI should be the same as the regular. 65,000 is a tad high for a 22-250 as a steady diet IMHO.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg,
Nice to talk to you again. Thanks for the info. Also Quickload lists a .22-243 Win @ 65000psi and a .22/243 Win @55999. Got any ideas on that one?
Miles

I'll look at my QL in the AM. Neither should exceed the parent case theoretically but in some instances a boost would be reasonable. You'd be most likely to see this in an old school cartridge now massaged into something more modern. We all realize that many cases like the Bob were kept low compared to what we see on the shelves now. Better steels, better tolerances and better case design help out greatly.

Greg

On the 2250 vs. 22.250 AI I see no earthly reason for the change. Pressures drop the way they should with the AI increase of capacity. Being a wildcat I think they just pulled a number out of their butt. SAAMI shows 65,000 for the case MAX. D'i load that but remember we are dealing with a computer model. It's just a model.

On the 22-243 vs. 22/243 while the volumes remain the same it is interesting that putting a bullet loaded into the case the same distance COL yields less usable volume for the 22/243. The case length is 0.002 longer in the 22-243. It should be noted that SAAMI MAX on the 243 is 60,000 not the 65,000 listed by QL.

The 22-243 MIDDLESTEAD was is a 243 necked to 22 with a 30 degree shoulder. I wonder if this is what we are seeing. It does have a longer neck that could result in some of 2hat we are seeing as we play computer what if.

That is all I can come up with after evaluating the data as presented by QL. I'm sure someone on here will be able to shine more light on it. I have both of the 22-250's and my 22/243 is non-MIddlestead as I didn't want the custom dies for it. My real world numbers show I have 54.60 cc of H2O on tap capacity so I'm almost 10% higher than QL shows for the model. I custom the DZ to I can lao1 mo my case sizes.

An interesting exercise to say the least.

Greg

One last thing if you can. I've been playing with numbers on QL with some of these same 22 caliber cartridges all in a 20" barrel. What I'm finding is in that length of barrel the larger cases give only small gains in velocity often on the order of 50fps. Would you agree with this or am I working the program wrong?

Thanks
Miles

Originally Posted By: 357cj5One last thing if you can. I've been playing with numbers on QL with some of these same 22 caliber cartridges all in a 20" barrel. What I'm finding is in that length of barrel the larger cases give only small gains in velocity often on the order of 50fps. Would you agree with this or am I working the program wrong?

Thanks
Miles

50 FPS/inch is darn good. Many yield only 30 or so for the bigger guys. Remember it's only a model. Nothing set in stone.

Longer barrel+slower powders = higher velocities. Drop tubes are your friend too.

I prefer nothing less than 22" for my demons on wheels but I do happen to have a 20" 22-250 Howa barreled action being delivered today to my FFL that I got from PT&G dirt cheap. I have 15" 22-250 XP100 that will be fun to compare it to.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 357cj5Thanks for the help

You are most welcome. The nice thing about this board is that there's a dozen guys on here that would do the same for you.

I never had much interest in QL until I got into these wildcats so heavily and wanted some general ideas of what I was dealing with. The one good thing is when I see these huge numbers being produced by some cartridges I can run a few examples and know darn well, taking in the fact it is a model,that A. They are way over pressure or B. They are full of horse manure.

Powder is powder and capacity is capacity. Like in drag racing there is no substitute for cubic inches. If you get the speed with something smaller you're probably running beyond the red line and things happen. None of which in the long run are god. If not today then tomorrow.

Greg

Back