What Rem-choke chokes are you using?

Dust

My new gun came in today with IC, M, and F that can shoot lead and steel. Plan to shoot BB (1 box of Federal P158BB, and Winchester or Hornady after the P158BBs are gone) and #4 buck in 2.75 and 3" for coyotes(probably Sellier and Bellot or Fiocchi 2.75" #4B and Remington 3" #4B). What chokes are the Remington guys using?

I would pattern a few loads with the mod. and full. That will let you see how well they pattern and where the pattern actually prints on your target.

I see you found the shotgun and pattern thread, good read and lots of info there.

I tried a couple after market brands in my versamax, ended up with the Remington pro-bore predator choke. Best pattern with Remington 3" #4 buck and hornady 3"BB.

For my old 870 and 11-87 I have Carlson's extended Sporting Clays chokes in Skeet, L/M, Mod, Imp/Mod and Full. If I could shoot lead shot for coyotes I would probably use the Imp/Mod or the Full.

I just bought a Rem Versa Max Waterfowl Pro that came with five Remington ProBore extended chokes. Remington came up with some names for these chokes so you have to figure out what they really are. "Flooded Timber" is a Skeet choke, "Over Decoys" is a I/C choke, "Pass Shooting" is a L/M .014, another L/M .014 and a "Turkey Predator" choke that is .060 constriction.

I just ordered Carlson's ProBore Mod and Imp/Mod extended Sporting Clays chokes to use in my Versa Max on coyotes.

Right on Bob. Using constriction from a particular bore size as a measure is far more reliable than simply saying something like "extra full."

In my 1187, I tried a flock of chokes.

With #4 buck, 00, and 000, the Carlson's turkey choke put all the pellets in a 15"-20" circle at 40 Yards.

I did not try any BB's.

00 and 000 patterned 100% in a 15" pattern and the #4 was in a 20" pattern at 40 yards.

Federal flite control wads worked better with a Imp. modified choke, but the std 3" buck worked extremely well with the Carlson's Turkey choke when wanting longer shots. For 35 yd and under shooting, the std full choke will work well.

Just remember that if even their tail is twitching after you knock them down, hit them again.

Last edited:
I only use mine for trap and waterfowl. For trap I use M with lead 7-1/2. For waterfowl I shoot 3" Black Cloud 4's & BB with IC or M which shoot very tight patterns. I may try skeet or even cylinder bore for a better close range pattern. All factory Rem-Choke.

Wow, I go away for a few days, and the thread blows up.

I am currently looking at Carlson's Coyote Choke tube 30044 ($33), and looking at the waterfowl 2-pack 07260 ($48) for mod and full extended chokes.

Unless everyone is using flite control loads, it seems I am looking at chokes that are too tight.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanIn my 1187, I tried a flock of chokes.

With #4 buck, 00, and 000, the Carlson's turkey choke put all the pellets in a 15"-20" circle at 40 Yards.

I did not try any BB's.

00 and 000 patterned 100% in a 15" pattern and the #4 was in a 20" pattern at 40 yards.

Federal flite control wads worked better with a Imp. modified choke, but the std 3" buck worked extremely well with the Carlson's Turkey choke when wanting longer shots. For 35 yd and under shooting, the std full choke will work well.

Just remember that if even their tail is twitching after you knock them down, hit them again.

Carlson's lists several restrictions for turkey chokes for the Rem-choke. Do you know your part number? Also, what brand buckshot were you using in the first few sentences?

Back