Last Night's Coyote - Home-Made NV

6mm06

Had a little bit of luck last night though it was bitter-sweet. Two coyotes came to the bait site last night around 9:00 PM. I shot one and the other quickly ran through the view of the scope, so I bolted another round and swung on it. It got into tall weeds and I couldn't shoot. When I panned back to where I shot the first one, it was gone. Bad mistake I guess. I should have stayed on the first one but I thought the shot was good. To top it off, the DVR didn't record the shot even though I had it turned on. The remote switch didn't work for some reason.

I used my home-made night vision build and the CZ 527 17 Remington shooting 25 gr. Hornady HPs. Distance was 60 yards. The 17 Rem really anchors them, which surprised me to have that one get away.

Around 5:20 AM this morning the alarm sounded again and the other coyote returned. This one wasn't so fortunate.

Here you can see a view of the bait site from my cabin porch. The coyote is at the upper end of the site, near the hay field. It was a rather large male, though young. I have been watching these two coyotes for some time now. They are probably the most skittish so far, very nervous at the site.

36354742443_4e2619fee1_c.jpg

36979358186_3beb8a768f_c.jpg

36979358096_7fcaa00a4d_c.jpg

36979887326_c9d171bc95_c.jpg

Some photos of my hunting buggy.

36979358036_b20b72be87_c.jpg

36979357976_a27e6f0941_c.jpg

36979357906_9d1c1a61c9_c.jpg

36423618266_6eb38d0909_c.jpg

Here's the video.

Very nice work 6. Pretty sure your first one is right there close somewhere, but you may have to wait for the buzzards to locate him for you. Bait site doubles are hard to come by, so congratulations on your success.

1/2 well done lol, I shouldn't say that cause it sounds like you done your part on the first one. Thanks for sharing and good to see you back at.

6mm06,

Beings I've seen how many dogs you've taken out at that site, I'd be a little skittish and nervous around that site too if I were a coyote!! Nice shooting.

Kevin

Weekender, not sure if I did my part or not.

DoubleUp, this would have been my third on doubles on a single night from the bait site. Just wish I could confirm the first shot last night.

Well Kevin, these two must have got a good lesson somewhere because they sure broke all the rules. As long as I've been hunting this bait site, every coyote I have killed and seen have come down the hill to the bait. These would approach in any direction they wanted to. They would run out and grab a bite, then run into the tall weeds. They would look up in the walnut tree nearby as if a boogie man was up there, then jump and run, twitch their ears and look here and there.

Too bad the first one got away. I should have stayed concentrated on that one, but I still think I made a good hit. No video to prove it though.

The poor man's night vision continues to rock.

Nicely done, you smoked that one. Our season opens 10/1 and I just started thinking about baiting and this post will get me in gear.

Too bad about the lost one. I had the same thing last year, took 30 seconds to grab the thermal and confirm a warm body laying motionless (or so I thought) next to the bait. I was amazed he was gone by the time I went out to get him.

UPDATE: I found the first coyote. It was right underneath my nose and only went maybe 25 yards. I walked right past it without seeing it in the tall grass between the cabin and bait site.

To my surprise, the 25 gr. Hornady HP bullet exited - the first yet on several coyotes I have shot with the 17 Remington. The entry was classic right behind the shoulder, but at an angle and the bullet exited near mid-center on the opposite side, so it traveled a ways. The coyote was a small female so that may account for the exit.

It's good to know it didn't get away, and also to bring my doubles on a single night to three X. That leaves only one other coyote to get away from the 17 Remington, and that was due to a poorly placed shot on my part.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
UPDATE: I found the first coyote. It was right underneath my nose and only went maybe 25 yards. I walked right past it without seeing it in the tall grass between the cabin and bait site.

Did your nose help find it, I'm sure after a day in the sun there was a scent trail.

Pmack, actually no. I returned to the site yesterday to check the camera and do do some work on one of the remote IR lights I have mounted on the post. I walked down the path and walked right past the coyote which was in the weeds few feet from the path. It was easy to see - unless you were looking up on the hill where I expected it to be.

I had weedeat some of the grass on the lower hillside as you can see in the first photo above. The grass wasn't short, just kind-of topped off. From up on the hill in the high grass you would think I could see the coyote in the lower grass lower down the hill. Just goes to show how easy it can be to lose one even in relatively short grass.

Back