Case Trappers

NMCoyoteHunter01

How many of you guys out there use a Case trapper or similar knife for skinning coyotes and other critters. Also, if you do how do you usually carry them.

I carry an Old Timer 194 OT in my pocket. Used to skin coons at the tree while running dogs.

Easier for me to bring home most critters and hang them up to skin.

I've always liked the trapper and muskrat pattern slip joints for working on game. For EDC a stockman pattern works too. My current favorite "pocket knife" is a 4" folding single blade custom trapper by Rick Menefee.

I use Buck Knives for skinning coyotes and foxes. Usually carry in my pocket without any issue as the size of the knife is perfect for carrying. Earlier, Morakniv did the job for me but I lost it somehow.

I've carried a case trapper for many years. I've skinned everything from muskrats to elk with mine and have never felt it wasn't enough knife. I carry mine in a slanted belt sheath

For some reason I never cared for the Trapper pattern. Had a couple (Schrade and Makers Mark) but I sold em.

I did like the Schrade Old Timers though. The Muskrat (top) is great for small game.

auZutKW.jpg

Then about 15 years ago I found old school single blade Jacks to be the perfect folder and haven't looked back.

S&M Heritage Jack in coat pocket and a matching GEC in the pants pocket.

zCxIECX.jpg

My favorite is an old Northwoods Indian River Jack but I don't carry it very often.

Zvyp9pe.jpg

Each year I do most of my big game hunting here on the ranch. I killed two antelope On saturday and a small muley buck on Monday. When my buddy got out here Saturday morning, he asked where my rifle was to harvest my antelope. I pointed between the seats of my truck at my Winchester 94 30-30. He thought I was joking until it came time for me to fill my first tag. He asked about my rifle again, but then shut up when he saw me grab the old lever gun. Once I dropped my first goat, he asked where my knife was to field dress it. I grabbed my Randall to go through the ribs,but I also grabbed my Case Trapper to do the main body of work. Around the vent, alongside the sheath and then into the body cavity, the Trapper did it all with ease.I can't recall now how long I have had that knife, but it still living up to the task.

Tex

I have been using a Case Slimline Traper #135 for the last few years as my go-to hunting knife. it is very thin and easy to cary. I like the clip point but i am trying out a French Douk-Douk Squirrel. This knife has a more rounded point/blade . So far the Squirrel is working out well.

I have a case trapper an old us made k bar trapper and a Moore maker trapper that I use for every thing. The kabar and case are 30 years. Old and the Moore maker is 15 years old. I have never found another pocket knife that works as good for me.I have a cross draw belt sheath that I use some but mostly carry them in my pants pocket.

I use a trapper set made by the McCrosky family, they are simply a national treasure in how they build knives. A friend skinned 300 beaver and never touched up his knife. I skinned 8 deer and mine never got dull, the elk skinner.

Treat yourself to one of these knives for a totally new experience in a knife blade, they have NEVER had a dissatisfied customer!

http://www.mccroskeyknives.com/

I always have a Case Trapper in my pocket. Although I have not skinned a coyote with one yet, I have no doubt it would handle the task easily. When I am not in the outdoors, I have been substituting a full size Trapper with a CV mini Trapper and have come to like it just as much.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI use a trapper set made by the McCrosky family, they are simply a national treasure in how they build knives. A friend skinned 300 beaver and never touched up his knife. I skinned 8 deer and mine never got dull, the elk skinner.

Treat yourself to one of these knives for a totally new experience in a knife blade, they have NEVER had a dissatisfied customer!

http://www.mccroskeyknives.com/

Do you have a picture you could share? I saw several fixed blade knives, but didn't see a Trapper model. I would very much be interested in trying one of their knives, but would like to do a little more research.

Thank you
Tex

Back