How far really..... No really....

I have yet to kill one calling (haven't tried much). I've killed one with a 300WM shot to the neck from about 150 yards, one with a muzzleloader to the shoulder at about 170 yards. The last one I killed was somewhere in the 600 yard range with a .223; that's what I had available and I had expected it to take a different route and be within 100. I was pretty surprised when it dropped. It is VERY open and flat around here so you can see them running ditches from a long ways off.

I hunt in wide open Wyoming. The opportunity is there to shoot as far as you like. Most of the shots my partner and I take are 75-150 yards. The only time I shoot past about 200 is when I have the time to range and dial, say on one that vapor locks on the way into the call. I have shot several in perfect conditions around 400 yards.

We hunt some pretty open country but at times get them in real close, too close in fact. We've shot em for less that 10 yards to 500 yards. You just never know what will happen where we hunt.

My furthest is 250, with a savage axis 22-250 4-15 viper pst and 65g sierria gameking going 3300fps roughly. Have shot them any were from 100-200. Have shot at them at 500-600 but haven't been successful with that yet.

For calling stands here on the Southern Plains..

Unless I have one hang up I just HAVE to kill that day..most of my shots average about 150 and long shots are 350-400.

Last edited:
100 yards. That seems about average. I get a lot of 75 yard shots but throw in a couple 200 yard pokes and that brings the average up a bit. Most of the 300 yard shots I've made or witnessed were after missed shots at a closer range. A 300 yard shot at the range off of bags is pretty easy, but while sitting on your butt and shooting off sticks it's a bit tougher. I bet I've seen more missed than hit out past 300.

Last edited:
Closest 2 yards, farthest 602

Average shot distance? Less than 200 yards, as the season goes on and the Yotes become more weary/educated the shots tend to average a little longer. I shoot a .243 with Hornady 58gr Vmax. They are SWEET bullets:)

Closet killed is 5 yards, farthest ones killed were all educated males at 802, 832, and 864 yards.

All taken prone, mid to late season, with 6mm shooting 105 amax and ranged with a Vector IV.
And had a buddy or two with me on everyone of the long kills.

I'd say average kills are 150-300 yards.

Back