204 ruger ideas

Originally Posted By: Whistlepig PopperFor prairie dogs it will be fine... if you are a coyote hunter you will eventually get some draggers and run offs. I was shooting the 40 grain Vmax out of my Browning A Bolt composite 204 and had groundhogs occasionally drag off and a few coyotes disappear after being shot behind the shoulder. So, I know shoot either a 22-250 or a 6 DTI in an AR Platform
It seems a lot of guys share this opinion. Thanks for the post! As i said, i do like the 22-250 also, but im trying to multi task my rifles as much as i can. For what i have and what i want to do with them, i think the 204/243 combo would be good. Lots of guys go out with a rifle and shotgun both on a stand. Maybe ill do the same and use the 204 within 200-250 or so yards and 243 on anything thats out farther. Im not scurred uf packin an extra rifle!

Edited...sorry bout that mods!

Last edited:
I just bought the Compass. Hornady Superformance 40gr factory ammo shot one hole at 50yds and all touching at 100yds.

32gr Hornady bullets over 21.0 of IMR4198 produced .70" at 100yds.

I also bought the TC due to the 10" twist.

Originally Posted By: 000shock i think the 204/243 combo would be good. Lots of guys go out with a rifle and shotgun both on a stand. Maybe ill do the same and use the 204 within 200-250 or so yards and 243 on anything thats out farther. Im not scurred uf packin an extra rifle!

lol.gif
packing 2 rifles to a coyote stand? you might be the first i ever heard of considering that. and thats ok. i know you said you are new to coyote calling. it wont take you long to figure that is a pita and really unnecessary.

pick one rifle. get good with it and go call and kill coyotes. dont over think it before you ever get started.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: 000shock i think the 204/243 combo would be good. Lots of guys go out with a rifle and shotgun both on a stand. Maybe ill do the same and use the 204 within 200-250 or so yards and 243 on anything thats out farther. Im not scurred uf packin an extra rifle!

lol.gif
packing 2 rifles to a coyote stand? you might be the first i ever heard of considering that. and thats ok. i know you said you are new to coyote calling. it wont take you long to figure that is a pita and really unnecessary.

pick one rifle. get good with it and go call and kill coyotes. dont over think it before you ever get started.

Lol...your prob right. I plan on always having 2 in the truck with me at least anyways. Maybe just playing it by the terrain is a better plan. Worst thing i can imagine is having something happen to your rifle/scope and make the whole day a waste.

Originally Posted By: HereticI just bought the Compass. Hornady Superformance 40gr factory ammo shot one hole at 50yds and all touching at 100yds.

32gr Hornady bullets over 21.0 of IMR4198 produced .70" at 100yds.

I also bought the TC due to the 10" twist.
Right on. So i havent gotten a solid answer yet, but are the grips on the compass molded with the stock or are they ruberized, similar to the hogue grip on the ventures? Pics look like they are molded. Thanks!

Just an update. The compass is on order with a 3-9x40 vortex CF II. Found a good deal on the package at ky gun co. They are a month or so backordered, but ive waited this long anyways! Thanks for all the input everyone!

Originally Posted By: LungbusterI've been shooting a .204 for about 10 years or so. I'm working in Killdeer if you need any help with load development. Thanks for the offer LB. i will def keep that in mind.

I have yet to collect everything...well, anything for that matter...i need to start reloading. I plan on picking up all the factory options available and seeing what its going to like. Prob have to order up some 45 gr sp and 35/40 gr bergers (hsm) online. Havent heard anything but good things about all three of them as of yet. I will likely get the rcbs rockchucker supreme or something similar thats pretty complete when more $ comes my way.

Back