Longer Front hand guard?

1Longbow

First ,I'll state that I'm not an AR guy, but I bought one to play around with. Its a DPMS Oracle flat top. I'd like to put a longer front hand guard on it. How hard to change ,and do I need anything more than the longer guard? i.e.. Nuts ,washers,tools?
Thank you for all answers

Does that have the tall sight on the front? If so you will need a new low profile gas block I would suggest an adjustable one.

this should cover most of the basics for you

you may or may not need a new gas block (usually a low profile) to replace the railed block on your oracle flat top. and depending on your handguard of choice you may be able to reuse the GI style barrel nut or be required to use the proprietary barrel nut that your new handguard requires.

depending on who's handguard you choose, they may have a specific how-to video for you to reference as well.

be prepared to purchase a vise block, roll pin starter punches, some pin punches, an armorer's wrench, and a torque wrench to complete this install. a front sight base bench block will be handy as well. it'll save you from needing 5 hands to get that gas tube roll pin in there
smile.gif

hth

As modular as ARs are, changing a handguard is rarely plug-and-play. Quite often replacing the barrel nut is required. If you are not handy this may be an issue. But anyone with a vise and a mediocre tool skills can handle this. I clamped a 5" vise to a portable Black and Decker tool bench and did 5 AR builds in an evening with friends, each with a different nut/handguard design.

Most new hand guards or free float tubes come with a barrel nut. I have had 3 different brands of free float tubes and they all had there own barrel nut with them. The Nordic free floats are nice for the money from Joe Bobs Outfitters.

Low pro joebobs gas block and a matrix handguard is a cheap but solid way to go. Barrel nut clears gas tube so it does not have to be indexed in such a way to allow gas tube to pass through.

Back