IR laser and PVS 14

1trkyhntr

Here is a photo of two shots at 75 yards at a 1/2" reflective tack with my IR OTAL and TNVC PVS14
setup. Good enough in my opinion.
The partial hole on the left side of the tack is because I reused it from last night when I checked my D760.
This is my attempt to show people how accurate a laser/pvs14 combo can be. My PVS14 is not magnified and I consider myself to be no better than an average shooter.
1734.jpg

1735.jpg

Last edited:

That's pretty darn good accuracy given the 1x mag of the PVS-14 and the size of a laser dot. Impressive.

After my thermal itch is scratched i'm jumping in with both feet for PVS14 and IR laser designator.

How do you like the Steiner OTAL-C ( IR ) ?? looks like a great entry level IR.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
About %40 of my kills last year were with a PVS-7 and IR laser. All those kills would have been missed opportunities if I had to transition to a scope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Norm DahlAfter my thermal itch is scratched i'm jumping in with both feet for PVS14 and IR laser designator.

How do you like the Steiner OTAL-C ( IR ) ?? looks like a great entry level IR.

Thanks for sharing.

I got it at the tail end of last season so I don't have a ton of experience with it yet but so far I like it a lot. It is easy to use, it holds zero, and the battery life is very good.

Yep, very effective for sure.

I imagine the beam of the OTAL must be pretty small in order to get a proper sight on such a small target.

trkyhntr, what head apparatus do you have for attaching the PVS-14 and illuminator?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Yep, very effective for sure.

I imagine the beam of the OTAL must be pretty small in order to get a proper sight on such a small target.

trkyhntr, what head apparatus do you have for attaching the PVS-14 and illuminator?

The head mount is the Ops Core Skull Mount from TNVC.

Can I ask how you zero'd your laser? I have a cheapie slaved vis/ir laser/illuminator. The green vis laser is not visible in bright sunlight, and there is no night hunting here. Also, did you use the offset zero or zero at the expected distance?

Originally Posted By: cmatera Can I ask how you zero'd your laser? I have a cheapie slaved vis/ir laser/illuminator. The green vis laser is not visible in bright sunlight, and there is no night hunting here. Also, did you use the offset zero or zero at the expected distance?

I Started with the tack on a large backer at 25 yards. I adjusted the laser according to poi then moved out to 75yds. The offset is not very much, I figure that I'm good anywhere from in my lap out to 100 yds. I'm ony planning to use this setup for close range hunting or when I'm with a buddy who is on the D760.
If you can't hunt at night I don't think a laser is going to work for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupI shoot coons at 175 yards with mine

After tonight you might be shooting at swimming raccoons.
I'm keeping you Florida guys in my thoughts, I hope that you fare well during and after the hurricane.

Back