Hornady ELD Match bullets

pyscodog

I bought a box, 22 caliber, 52 grain. Has anyone tried these? I thought I would try them in my 223 or maybe my 22-250 AI.

I don't know about the 52s but hornady told me the 75s are exactly the same bullet with just a new tip material.

Originally Posted By: zr600I don't know about the 52s but hornady told me the 75s are exactly the same bullet with just a new tip material.

same thing they told me about the 208 amax when they introduced the new ELD-M bullet.

the eld-m is just the amax, with a tip made from the new material. otherwise the bullet specs are identical - same core, same jacket, same profile, same manufacturing process.

the eld-x on the other hand is a completely new animal.
from what i understand you really shouldnt even begin to be able to know the difference until you stretch out past 400 yds.

I can't get the 73 ELD's to group worth a darn out of my AR15 16" 7 twist. I've tried Varget, RL 15, IMR 8208, and H4895. I have IMR 4064 and IMR 4895, but I don,t think I,m going waste my time.

Last edited:
I shot the 52 grainers over H335 this morning. Not bad but far from what I call good. My 55 grain BlitzKings over 8208 spanked them pretty hard. I'll try a different powder and maybe even try them in my triple deuce. Maybe they will shoot better. I have a 22-250AI that I might try them in also.

The 73's in my 1:8" BHW 20" pumps the 73's out really well at 500 - not sure on actual group size yet, but 8" is boring, and 5" gongs make a game of it.

I found H4895 shot the best with the 73s in my 20" AR 8 Twist.
Started out kissing the rifling with Lapua Brass and BR4's. Backed them off to mag length and adjusted powder till they shot good.
Kissing the rifling they stayed on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 1000 yards. Mag Length they shot ok just didn't try them at 1000 yet. I did take a doe at 652 yards with one. Shoulder shot and she made it 30-35 yards before collapsing.

Haven't gotten any 52s to tinker with yet. The 73s aren't fur friendly..

Originally Posted By: longrange454Varminterror.

What powder are you using?

I haven't shot them much, but so far I've been using Varget and 8208. I bought a couple hundred of them when they hit Cabela's shelves, but sat on them most of the spring. Since I didn't work up a load in time, I punted and bought a couple boxes of factory ammo to use as a "demo" in a "get to know your precision AR" coaching session I do, and they shot well, so I threw together some Varget and 8208 loads, and have really only used them for the same "demo" use so far. Which is why I say I don't know the real group size, I just demo positions and break a few dozen shots at various ranges during a day. Getting close to season, I might not really wring them out until spring now.

I'd like to look at a few other powders, since neither Varget or 8208 are very speedy under them, but they've shot well, and I like having/using Varget loads - 'cuz I have boatloads of it.

Of the two ( Varget and RL 15) RL 15 shot the best. In fact of the powders I tried RL 15 was the best. Nosler 77 CC's shoot better than the 73 Hornady's. My AR is a FN Tactical Carbine

The first ELDs I've seen in action was yesterday, Hornady 140 match from a Tikka 6.5 creed.

My buddy (this is his first scoped rifle) shot 3 shots, waited about 2 minutes and shot 3 more. The 6 of them grouped .362 CTC at 100 yards. No, that's not a typo.

I bought a box of 130s for my 6.5L this morning.

Originally Posted By: CZ527The first ELDs I've seen in action was yesterday, Hornady 140 match from a Tikka 6.5 creed.

My buddy (this is his first scoped rifle) shot 3 shots, waited about 2 minutes and shot 3 more. The 6 of them grouped .362 CTC at 100 yards. No, that's not a typo.

I bought a box of 130s for my 6.5L this morning. Hmmm I'm more impressed with the Tikka. I would keep that guy around for a good luck charm!

Originally Posted By: McGraw Originally Posted By: CZ527The first ELDs I've seen in action was yesterday, Hornady 140 match from a Tikka 6.5 creed.

I bought a box of 130s for my 6.5L this morning. Hmmm I'm more impressed with the Tikka. I would keep that guy around for a good luck charm!

He has a good teacher
wink.gif

Of course that group didn't quite get duplicated by either of us, but it shot under 3/4 for the rest of the day. I suspect that first group after cleaning may be a repeatable (while not practical) phenomenon. Haha, can you picture stopping every 6 rounds to clean during PRS.
laugh.gif

When I posted to this thread I forgot to add. That I talked with a two different Hornady Reps. and they both leaned towards Win 748 and AA 2230 for the 73 ELD.

Ive shot a whole bunch of the 52 Amax through my 22-250. Havent shot any of the new elds yet but soon. Less than 50 of the amax left. I sincerely hope they are the same as the 52 Amax has proven to be the most devastating coyote bullet ive ever shot out of the good ol' 22-250. Great success shooting them over Alliant AR comp and pushing them hard.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Ive shot a whole bunch of the 52 Amax through my 22-250. Havent shot any of the new elds yet but soon. Less than 50 of the amax left. I sincerely hope they are the same as the 52 Amax has proven to be the most devastating coyote bullet ive ever shot out of the good ol' 22-250. Great success shooting them over Alliant AR comp and pushing them hard. FairChase, what twist rate is your 22-250 with the A-Max?

Back