Cold Weather Calling Clothes? What gear do you wear?

Merino wool base layers, poly middle layers, and either kings insulated snow camo or Sitka fanatic outer layer (depending on whether or not there is snow). Kenetrek mountain extreme 400 or Irish Setter 2000 boots. This system works down to -27F in my personal experience. I'm still searching for a pair of gloves and/or mittens conducive to hunting in sub zero temps. The ones I currently run are ok, but not great.

If you figure out the gloves, let us know.

My hands hurt pretty bad most days anyway but they really hurt in the cold. Lots of old bone breaks. Every finger on both hands broke at least twice each, ring finger and pinky on right hand broke a lot more than twice each. Heck, they got broke in two places each at the same time, more than once... Metacarpals in both hands broken multiple times in multiple places each too. Been over 25 years since the last one, but I'm definitely paying for the sins of my past in my hands when it's cold!

Doesn't even have to be all that cold, either...

I haven't found anything that both keeps my hands kind of warm and works well for manipulating a rifle yet though.

- DAA

Im up in Saskatchewan Canada and hunt alot in temps of -20 to -30 and regardless of what you wear you need to make sure you layer up and keep dry. Even in -30 you can overheat and sweat on a long hike and then you feel cold when you settle down and call. I make sure my feet are always bone dry..use foot powder and a good socks that keep the feet dry.
I light nice tight fitting base layers with a middle layer that allows movement and and 100% wind proof outer shell. 99% of the times its gonna be the fingers and toes that will get you..keep them warm and you are golden.
Fancy logo's and cool camo patterns aren't necessary.

Winter hunts I wear Nomex flight gloves under an insulated long cuff mittens. The Nomex glove allows me to keep my shooting hand from freezing when getting prone and setting up for shots on sleepers. When calling I wait until I see a critter to take off a mitt. This works to well below zero and in the wind.

Elk skin chopper mitten with wool liners. If that isn't enough, I will put on a 5 finger glove inside the choppers. Easy to remove the chopper for shooting and still have a good glove to stay warm until the excitement is over. I use insulated coveralls from Cabelas over long johns and regular pants. Rudy

I hate being cold and miserable . in winter when the the East wind starts and Temp. falls in the 20's and lower .
If I have to sit and not move, I wear a ( top & bottom ) ECWCS Level 7. XL size nice and baggy . I put lightweight summer camo top & bottom over it to protect the Thermal suit and blend to whatever my surrounding is .
If you have a long pack to your stand . You pack it easy also because it packs 'small' you put it in a compression sack and the Loft suit goes to a sweet little ball .

You can't hike in it because it to hot . But when you can't move sitting for long periods of time you be sitting nice and warm . if I need some Ventilation I just do a little unzipping and let he freezing air move inside for minute .

Last edited:
I hunt at night, often in minus temps in Montana. Muck boots keep the feet warm enough, most warm weather gear and long johns er I mean base layers
glare.gif
, keep the core warm, but hands, face and eyes are a challenge. Let me know if you find the secret.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ I have found that i have 3 sets of gloves too. non insulation, lined, and then wool gloves(one is 5 finger for left hand to run remote (USMC has a wool military ones that have rubber dots to allow touch and grip on remotes), the other is a 3 finger shooter wool mitten for the right hand)

As the day warms i strip off the layers.. between stands.. fast and easy to stay comfortable. I like to be just getting cold at the end of a 20 minute stand, so i don't get to hot walking in or out of a stand. Wear a camo fleece skull cap on stand and take it off walking in and out.

I also found that a neck fleece is really nice, cheap and keeps you from needing other layers when you would normally put them on.

Since i don't deal with negative temps that often, i have sets of Field jacket liners (top and bottom) Those things.. WOW.. THey are super light, dry really fast, and feels like you are walking around in a sleeping bag comfortable.(if i was to sit in a deer stand, these would be the ticket) They are usually $10 on a lot of sites. I like the pants with buttons down the sides so if you take them off during the day you can do so without taking your pants and boots off.

jacket liner
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/607405...ASABEgLBofD_BwE

for the pants
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/446754...ASABEgI9ivD_BwE

for the gloves i was talking about $3-10
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1918118007/military-surplus-usmc-glove-insert-olive-drab

3 finger gloves for under $20 that come with outer shells that are leather palmed. I just sprayed them with some white paint to make them lighter.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/191818...ell-with-liners

I personally like the Kryptek line, I have the Cadog jacket and pants for temps ranging from 30's and up, its a nice softshell outer layer with fleece lining. When its colder than 30's, snowing, or raining I grab the Aegis bibs and coat it is waterproof and very warm and not bulky at all and the material is very strong. I have a horrible time with barb wire fences and have only managed to get one tiny hole ripped in the fabric. As far as baselayers I just buy the cheapest merino wool long sleeve shirt and long jonhs that I can find on ebay.

In the summer I wear a light long sleeve t shirt. In the winter I wear a long sleeve t shirt and before daylight I may wear an extra shirt.

Thin long johns poly, wool pants. Wool socks,bunny boots. Poly t short poly long sleeved shirt fleece outer shirt. Wind proof coat with inner liner. Fleece of course. Stormy Kromer hat with a silk cowboy scarf. And chap stick!!!! Unless the snow is chest deep then I have back country ski boots. Way better than snow shoes. Cabela's best cold weather gloves with heaters in them. I am a panzy!!

Back