7mm-08 for Coyotes

UncleDoc

I have a Remington 700 from the Remington Custom Shop (don't know that that fact means much) in a 7mm-08 that shoots little bittie tinnie groups, like squirrels all day long at over 100 yards. Should I consider using it for a coyote rifle, just not sure that it's not too much...

I can't imagine N Carolina coyotes are worth a lot at the fur buyer so if that's not a consideration go for it if you like shooting it. It will definitely kill them.

Getting ready to put a 7-08 barrel on a savage action I have. I'm guessing it'll be a little much for a dirty dog, I hope to find out and will report when I do.

Originally Posted By: UncleDoc .....shoots little bittie tinnie groups, like squirrels all day long at over 100 yards. Should I consider using it for a coyote rifle, just not sure that it's not too much...

The cartridge is way more powerful than you need for coyotes, but that's not to say it isn't good. The main thing I like about it is the accuracy. Every 7mm08 I have ever shot was very accurate, so that factor in and of itself builds confidence, which goes a long way in the hunting fields.

If you enjoy the rifle and shoot it well, by all means use it. Caliber doesn't matter as long as it's pleasurable to you.

If you need an excuse to purchase another rifle, then maybe consider a lighter caliber. The 6mms are really good, such as a 6x45 in an AR platform, or an accurate bolt rifle in .243, and a lot of coyotes are being taken with .223's.

In a nutshell, whatever floats your boat, go for it.

6mm...I agree. Every 7mm-08 I either have or have had shoots great. And I am always looking for an excuse to purchase another rifle. Thanks to everyone for the input.

I have to agree with 204 AR. I cant see Carolina dogs bringing any good fur price just like here in Southernmost IL. Most all the places (properties) I hunt have cows and the owners want the coyotes dead..... I am good with that as I hate skinning the darn things any way. Most times we just pick em up and throw em in a tree line and feed the buzzards.

Loaded right that 7-08 should blow a heck of a hole through em. Dead coyote......

Just my thoughts.

I have a friend that bought one for a deer rifle. He shot a called coyote at 120ish yards with it. Coyote was standing facing us, no exit, we had a hard time finding the entrance.
He was using whatever run of the mill deer ammo the local store had on the shelf.

As compared to another friend shooting a coyote at similar distance and stance with a .30-06 and factory deer ammo. Bullet left a couple different holes in the belly and side; a terrible mess.

Back