Adams Arms .308 finally running right

6GUNSONLY

Got one of these about a year ago and really like the platform. It's smaller/lighter than a lot of .308 AR platform rifles, and supposedly has a fairly high percentage of parts interchangability with .223/5.56 ARs. I had some trouble initially with it short-cycling, not picking up a fresh round from the mag and not infrequently failing even to eject. Adams Arms tech suggested trying a carbine length .223/5.56 AR mainspring, so Saturday I took the Adams and my Colt carbine to the range. Put the carbine spring in, and instant fix. So when that worked, I figured shortening the original spring would probably serve the same purpose, so I clipped about 1.5-2 coils off the spring and put it back in. Ran everything I put through it then, including 10 rounds rapid fire. Only thing it didn't do was lock open when empty on the one mag I had with me, a 10 Rd P-mag. Think I'll try a couple of other mags, and if the problem persists, I may clip just a little more spring off. Looking forward to working up some good loads and taking it on a coyote or hog hunt.

i would be checking gas block/port alignment before you get too much further along with your spring modifications.

an under-gassed AR-308 is 180* of the typical problem most folks are having.

look for a nice even carbon ring centered around the gas port.

i think you'll find most of us are having to do the opposite - put in heavy buffers, adjustable gas blocks, etc to tune them into where they need to be.

its probably not a mag issue, for DPMS pattern ar-308s who can use the pmags, those are like the holy grail of mags to use.

Back