AR Barrels (updated with rifle pics)

shelton573

My parts keep rolling in for my first AR build every day. The next thing I need to focus on is the barrel. What is the best bang for my buck barrel? I am not real concerned with price, but I do not want to spend a pile of money but still want an accurate barrel. I want an 18" barrel on this build mainly for shooting coyotes. I have been looking at Wilson, x-caliber, WOA and shilen barrels. What are you all using? My hunting buddy just put a Wilson barrel on his AR for $160 that will shoot majority of factory ammo under 3/4" and the 69gr factory ammo will punch 1 hole groups. I have been looking at Skeleton Tacticals website for a few parts and they have a dang good looking black/stainless spiral flute barrel for $200 but I cant find any thing on them as far as reviews go. Any info or suggestions is much appreciated. Thaks guys!

Last edited:
I have a BHW that is really accurate. Been looking at the WOA as most say they are very accurate also. The Wilson I have shoots good also but I haven't had time to really get it up and running. I like a 20" barrel but that is just my preference.

Ive had my fare share of barrels. IMO you can't go wrong with a SS match grade. I recently switched out and sold all of my .223/556 barrels for the .223 Wylde. I love them. Wish I would have done it several years ago. I mostly buy from Rainier Arms.They put a 90 day money back guarantee on them. If your not satisfied....send it back. Ive found their SS match grade barrels to be really accurate. I currently have the 20" & 16" SS match grade .223 Wylde. Both shoot sub moa with custom loads (60-70 gn). Another barrel I purchased from them was the 20" MedCon. This was a light weight barrel that shot really well with 62 gr HPR ammo.
I wish Id never sold that rifle!!
I also try to buy barrels with a .750 block. Most arent too heavy and that gas block is widely used.

so far I have used RRA, criterion, lilja, black hole, and AR stoner, (liberty barrel) and maybe another I am forgetting, oh yeah a shilen, that was a grendel I only put a few rounds through and it shot amazing before selling it. so far out of all those the RRA is the one I would never part with. It seems like their barrels are less finacky and seem to maintain accuracy for me every time. Next best was criterion.

I love changing out barrels its like getting a new christmas present that I get to play with. but then again the RRA isn't going anywhere, LOL. I would love to try a krieger in 12 twist or a custom shilen in 12 twist as well.

Some of the WOA's are Shilen blanks. Shilen, Krieger, BHW, and Lilja are barrel makers which get my money, and Criterion and WOA are others who could for AR's. Step outside of AR's, and if it starts with a B, it'll be good...

I'm a huge Odin Works fan. My 6.5 Grendel barrels, 223 Wylde, and 22 Nosler have all been 1/2 moa and not very picky about ammo. Their customer service is top notch as well.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlGive a look at GM-18 from Green Mountain.
I have their 20" and it shoots really good groups including 69 gr TMK over 8208 XBR.

What is the delivery time for GM barrels?? Thank you. Dan

Last edited:
Check out spintaprecision.com I've got a few barrels from them and they are gtg. I also have 2 black hole barrels and a sheepdog gun works in 6.5 grenndel. I think the bhw barrels are more accurate across the board than the sheepdog. But not by a huge amount. I'm also shooting 130s in the sheepdog since it's a 1-8tw

bob you may have jumped the gun a few days early - then again maybe not
smile.gif

however i got an email from WOA and in honor of talk like a pirate day....

they're having a SP-AARRGH sale on the 19th, SPR barels $195 (normally $275)

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/whats-new/pirate-day-specials.html

(online use code AARRR17.)

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onebob you may have jumped the gun a few days early - then again maybe not
smile.gif

however i got an email from WOA and in honor of talk like a pirate day....

they're having a SP-AARRGH sale on the 19th, SPR barels $195 (normally $275)

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/whats-new/pirate-day-specials.html

(online use code AARRR17.)

I need another .223 rifle like a hole in the head but for the $$ I just might get the 18" fluted... can always build or rebarrel a rifle years from now.

I'd get a WOA every day and twice on Sunday. Both my WOA barrels (6.8 SPC II and 1-12" twist .223) are wonderful. I wouldn't part with either one.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a quick update. I ended up going with the Green Mountain GM-18 barrel for my AR. Ritch offered me a great deal on one of his barrels but being the impatient person that I am, I decided to go with the GM barrel (Thanks for the info and your time Ritch!). Also, thanks to Bob Atl for answering all my questions about the GM barrel he has! What I liked about the GM barrel was all the options at its price point. The plan for this AR was everything black except the barrel and I think the matte stainless turned out great with it. I also wanted the rifle length gas system and I wanted fluted barrel to help a bit on weight. The fit and finish are fantastic. I did some shooting with it on Sunday and so far it shoots pretty good. It shot all factory ammo within an inch. The hornady 55gr HP American Gunner shot consistent 3/4" groups at 100. That will be plenty for coyotes. I am going to try some reloads through it just to see what it can do but so far I am pretty pleased. When I get home this evening, I will snap a couple pictures of it so you all can see how it turned out. Thanks for all the info!

Last edited:
Back