AR at night or not?

g Bo

I own ARs and like them a lot. I've probably killed a over 100 coyotes with my 223 rock rivers in the last couple of years. About two years ago I bought a tikka 243 to get abit more kill power. I mostly shoot that now in the daytime, but have still been using my RR 223 at night. Until recently, I had a 6.5 Grendel (DAA nick named it, "the Zombie Killer) built to try and give me more kill power. I wanted to stay with the AR 15 platform to keep the weight down so I went super light and I'm very happy with the weight and size.

My question is (and I'd like some opinions on) how many of you shoot ARs at night and who doesn't and why? I myself have had it in my mind, AR because the ability to keep your eye in the scope during and after the shot. Since shooting the Grendel I care more about keeping the brass because I'm going to start reloading. The AR throws the brass out into the brush or wherever and is a challenge to recover. And yes I have a brass catcher and it kinda works but is a pain in the rear.

I've been thinking of going with a bolt 243 because the kill power is huge and that's what I shoot in the daytime anyway. The 243 also shoots much flatter and good bolt gun is lighter and cheaper.

Your opinion please!
I don't mind a little forum guy talk abuse and ribbing, that's all in fun.

Which do you shoot better? The bolt action will throw brass too if you aren't careful. Pretty hard to beat Tikka's lightweight and accuracy.

How far are you going to shoot at night to use all that power?? The Grendel will do anything you need it to do. Sounds like to me you are trying to find an excuse to buy another rifle.LOL.. Keep thinking,you'll find an excuse sooner or later that you like...
Load for the Grendel. Very easy to load for and super accurate. I've gotten very good accuracy out of the Hornady Black Factory Loads. Keep thinking....I'm doing the same thing right now..

For me the AR (6x45)is a huge advantage using the thermal riflescope. The target is never lost and follow ups for multiplies or running shots are so much easier. I also shot a 243 bolt action a lot when hunting with the Photon digital NV for the killing power, flat shooting, and I knew the white out from the IR was going to almost always limit me to only one shot. Pretty much the same when I was using lights, one and done. Can't speak on how Gen3 would be on second shots if using IR.

I usually shoot an ar .223 at night because of quick second shot.
Some times you have white out with .223 and gen3. Almost always have it with 22-250.
Can't use .243 at night here only .22 cal. I would use .243 if I could. DRT more often they don't have to run far here to be lost.

Last edited:
I'm using The IR mark 3 60 mm, and have a radius to mount to the gun but haven't mounted it yet. I'm probably over thinking it. I'm sure I'll give the Grendel a good try. I've already killed about a half dozen with it so far.

I have two different Bushmaster AR 15s for night hunting.

Never had a so called KNOCK DOWN power problem!

I used my Radius a couple weeks ago in my pig Saddle set up,
After I shot a Coyote I used the aiming laser on the Radius and locked it in place on the dead Coyote in the grass, took no time at all to find him, just followed the red laser.

65 yards.

Never thought about using the laser to find a coyote. I'm excited to try it Kevin, my friend. And when I get ready to zero in my radius I'll have you on the phone as my guide.

On my first nite out with my AR I shot a triple on coyote with 3 shots in maybe 30-45 seconds. A little later in the season a double on fox. I like an AR for the times when multiples come in, not spray and pray. I am just not that good to do it with a bolt gun.

I prefer the AR. Detachable mag and no need to pull my eye off of the scope to cycle it. I am no a fan of .223 though for cyotes. 22 Nosler for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: g BoNever thought about using the laser to find a coyote. I'm excited to try it Kevin, my friend. And when I get ready to zero in my radius I'll have you on the phone as my guide.
Been using a laser to help find dead predators at night for years. Long shots out here at night and in many cases especially in Nevada lot of sage brush flats sometimes no rock formations trees, other features to use as a reference point. I have the laser mounted onto a short length of that sectional flex coolant line used on machine tools to direct coolant to the tool and work piece. at the other end I have one of those heavy duty spring loaded plastic hand clamps. After I shoot an animal I clamp the laser onto the hatch frame on my rig then direct the laser at where I think the animal is down. Grizz

Dang, now the laser idea id's great. I hate wandering around in the sage wasting time looking for a dog when I could be getting to the next stand.

I hunt with AR-15's 99% of the time when calling. Be it at night or in the daylight. Very versatile platform. I use a 16" 5.56 and a 16" 300Blk. Night Eyes lights on night hunts

Originally Posted By: Norm DahlGreat idea, I'm jumping on the Laser train.

It works really well Norm!

I am hoping to shoot a few Coyotes tonight and then laser them, unfortunately the wind is howling and supposed to calm down around 1am.

Gonna hang out in my hut until the wind dies down.......

In Texas it is not legal to hunt at night without an AR.

I am only kidding but when you do run into pigs it sure does come in handy!!

If you want to stay in the ar platform try and pick up an ar-10 in .243. A good friend of mine always brings his r-25 along and does very well. They are pretty heavy (compared to the ar-15) but with the right load you can reach out and touch something with excellent knock down power. Myself I use an R-15 in .223. I had been using a hornady 75gr bthp, had good knock down power but the grouping was awful. I recently switched to black hills with the hornady 60gr. It shoots amazing!!! The groups are consistent and it hits very hard down range. With multiple coyotes at night I think the ar isn't an option it's a must have to be consistantly successful.

Back