My Grandson desperately needs your prayers

K22

My grandson was born with a genetic disease called Proteus Syndrome. It is extremely rare and is not curable. He has been in and out of hospitals since he was born 2 years ago and is now back in at the University of North Carolina childrens hospital awaiting surgery to remove more tumors around his spine and gut area. He has already had some of his toes cut off and still started walking first with one cast on his feet, then with 2 casts, then with no casts, then again with another cast. So , so sad to see this and to have my daughter and her husband go through this. She did start a page on Facebook for any that are interested, called Gabriels Journey. Here's a link............
Gabriels Journey and another link.......... Gabriel Mason
I am not one for posting family issues or troubles, but Gabriel could sure use some prayers or at least positive energy.

Thank you,

Jim

This is the latest about Gabriel from my daughter. While lengthy it does explain it much better than I could..................

"Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
Sometimes I don't understand why things happen; sometimes it seems so cruel and unfair how good people suffer. I do not know Gods plan for Gabriel or why this is happening to him, but I will believe that it is in his control. I will believe everyday that a miracle can happen for my little boy.
We met with Gabriel's Geneticist and team of Surgeons this morning to go over his MRI results. The results were what we've been dreading. His tumors have significantly grown in size since his last MRI, so much that there is no more empty space in his abdomen for them to go. If they continue at this rate they will begin smothering and invading his organs and spine.
Genetics is worried that if they continue to grow as they have been that soon Gabriel won't be able to eat on his own anymore, even with the help of his G-tube, and that he will need to be fed intravenously through a central line. They are also worried that his organs will not be able to function properly as they're being squeezed and would start to shut down.
The medicine doesn't seem to be working very well on shrinking the tumors, though we are going to increase his dosage and see.
As of right now, Genetics says the only viable option for Gabriel is to have surgery on the tumors to try and debulk some of the masses and give him more room to try and allow the medicine to work. Without surgery they are worried he won't be able to grow anymore without it causing serious, and likely fatal damage.
The surgeons say there is no way they can preform this surgery on Gabriel. It is incredibly risky. He would need a complete open abdominal surgery and they would basically be going in blind. There is no way to get a clear image of the tumors to try and map out a plan. His whole stomach is covered with these tumors, they are invading all of the tissues and blood vessels to the surrounding organs so trying to go in and cut them out could easily result in the damage to his other healthy organs. The risk of bleeding out is extremely high as everything is entertwined and has no clear borders.
The Surgeon told us that if they took Gabriel in for surgery, they are not sure if he would make it back out.
He is going to send all of Gabriel's MRI results to the surgery team at Boston Children's Hospital and see what they would recommend and if they would be willing to do surgery there.
None of the Surgeons here have seen a case like Gabriel's before, they said you could go your whole career without seeing something like this. So no one really knows what to expect when they open him up.
The MRI showed a few questionable spots on the tumor in Gabriel's back that along with the extremely rapid growth, Genetics is wanting to biopsy the lesion to check for any mutations. They think it is possible the tumors may have started to mutate and become malignant. We will get the biopsy done next week and hopefully know the results from that soon.
If they turn out to be malignant, we could hopefully do radiation to shrink them and avoid surgery.
Right now we are just waiting to have the biopsy done and tested and waiting to hear back from Boston. They are they number one in the country and have hopefully seen a case like Gabriel's before and will know what to do.
Please everyone say a prayer or send up good thoughts for Gabriel. He is the toughest, sweetest baby boy. I know he can beat anything.
While our odds are stacked against us, and everything seems to be crashing down around us we will never give up hope that our angel will be healed and will live a full and happy life. I refuse to believe that Gabriel has come this far for it to end like this.
HE will beat this!

Gabriel with Mom and Dad

My youngest daughter included him in her senior picture.

Gabriel learning to walk with casts on both feet.

Last edited:
Gabriel, in his 2yrs. with us has had to learn to walk with some of his toes cut off (big toe on one foot) and a cast on one foot, then some toes off on his other foot and the inside of the bottom of his foot scraped out then a cast on that foot. After learning to walk with casts on both feet, they then removed one cast and he started over again. Then the other cast was removed and he was so happy. No casts, new shoes...oh ya! Then they operated on one of his feet and another cast was put on. Now both casts are off, but the tumors have started big time. He has not had a comfortable day in 2yrs, but oh boy, what a trooper.

Last edited:
Terribly sorry to hear of this. It's heartbreaking, truly. I'm reading this and thinking of my healthy two year old grandson, my eyes are watered and I feel a lump in my throat. I can't imagine what your family is dealing with. Prayers from here...

Gary

I very much admire your Daughters faith and bravery during what must be unbearable pain and heartache.
I have no understanding why things such as this happen to the innocent among us.I also must trust the Lord.

My family and I will pray for strength and comfort for your family every day.

Again I admire your family's faith.
You Sir must have led your family well and built the foundation that now sustains them.

My words are inadequate.

Thank you so much for your prayers. It is very hard on my daughter and son in law, and very hard on my wife and I.

At the present rate of the tumor growth, Gabriel is looking at a month, 2 at the most.

This is very hard on me and my family. Really love that little guy.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear of little Gabriel's plight. Have added Gabriel and your family to our prayer list for healing, and strength. Your family's faith is an inspiration to us all.

God Bless,
hm

This is one of the toughest tests a person can endure. I will hope for extra strength with your family and I am glad you've posted it.

Originally Posted By: tripod3This is one of the toughest tests a person can endure. I will hope for extra strength with your family and I am glad you've posted it.

You are right about that tripod3

Thank you for taking the time to offer up prayers and thoughts for Gabriel. I wish you all could meet him.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: atdTears and hope from Miami.

Same from KY.

And from New Mexico. We are gunning for little Gabriel.

Thank you to all of you and thank you Dave. It is very sad to watch. Pray that Boston hospital will admit him. Medically it is his only hope.

Jim

Back