cheapest onxmaps?

TripleDeuce660

Anyone know the cheapest place to purchase the onxmaps hunt chip? Unfortunately, I need NV, AZ, and UT. I have had CA for like 10 years, since it was called huntingpsmaps or something like that.

unless you find one in the bargain cave - or other clearance venue - like reb said there isnt much of a price point difference anywhere.

i suspect they have a MAP (minimum advertised price) or MRP (minimum retail price) policy in effect for their dealers.

honestly speaking, for the amount of data their chips have on them, i still feel that they're a true value. the plat data alone if you had to purchase them for an entire state would far eclipse the cost of the chip.

the only bummer for me was i had to upgrade my handheld to a model that could store the data the chip had to offer. not all handhelds can load/display the ammount of info they cram on there. Thankfully my unit was only a couple years old and i was able to resell it and get most of the value back out of it, so i didnt have to take a huge hit on it
smile.gif

You are right that the data on the chips represents a ton of work. I am in GIS, and if I lived in montana i would probably be working for onXmaps!Of course, if you know where to look the majority of the data is free, but surely it has to be cleaned up and not all of it even exists. Plus you need someone with alot of programming experience to make it work on garmins and phones.

So if you go to the site, I believe you can get a phone app with member ship, all states for 30 bucks a year or some thing along those lines.
Mark

using the gps on every phone ive owned is a death sentence for the battery - especially if you're in an area thats got poor phone signal. thats why i got my handheld in the first place.

Yep. Reviews of the app vs. the chip pretty much agree with your experience. If you don't have cell reception, what good is it? You can work around it by downloading the part of the map you need before you go out so no cell signal required, but if your plans change, you could be screwed. A phone is a poor substitute for an outdoor GPS.

kirsch he has one that has all those states and 4 more for 199. I believe.i have been using them for about 7 years and they are the best our group has tried others that cost 100 each state that are not as good he is a sponser on this site also.his customer service is top notch.so you would get three states plus for 100.00 cheaper.

Originally Posted By: stickbow_hunter+1 on the Kirsch maps

Agreed. I've been using his software for about five years now and really like it. 'Bout time for a refresh...

Like Reb said the chips are the same price anywhere. You can get chips that do not have landowner contact info and save a few bucks. You get 3-4 states per chip for $100. They still show all the same info private, BLM, school trust, just no names and addresses for private land owners. Nevada only comes by itself and is $120, the extra cost has something to do with private property records having to be purchased from each county. oNx ends up being a pretty large investment if you travel to hunt. Kirsch maps are easier on your wallet and do the same thing. I would avoid the oNx phone app due to the costs and the poor reliability of cell phones in general. It has a monthly or yearly fee and the maps are not as detailed as the SD card versions. You will also have to cache maps to assure it works in the field.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneusing the gps on every phone ive owned is a death sentence for the battery - especially if you're in an area thats got poor phone signal. thats why i got my handheld in the first place.

I just purchased the garmin 64s..seems like a nice unit.. But a bit complicated if I want to put google earth overlays on it.. As for phone GPS apps.. I just downloaded the Xhunt.. Has a free 7 day trial and it looks very well thought out and simple to use.. I think I read that it also has a feature where you can turn off the signal and it will still navigate you.. So you don't loose battery juice while it roams.. One can put in airplane mode.. Dan

Back