6.5 Grendel wildcats

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I picked up a 6.5 Grendel case at the range today, the first I've seen, WOW!!! I'm thinking a Mini Howa in 22-6.5 Grendel. Has it been done what do they call it. So many wildcats have names and not a numerical designation that it is hard to tell what they are based on. I shoot rifle in 22-204, 6mm-204, 25-204, 22-250, easy to tell what they are.

Thanks for the help.

I beleive Ritch and Greg aka GLshooter have shot a 22lbc and 20lbc and I know they have done the 243lbc. I have a little experience with the 243lbc my cousin has one that Ritch built. What do you want to know about them?

I just wanted to the names of them so I could look them up instead of just ordering a reamer of my own design like I did on the 204 cats(I catted the 204 the year brass was availible so there were no previous cats at the time).

It would be nice to build a cat that someone else has done all the leg work on, but with just names instead of descriptive names like 22-Grendle 30 degree how is one to know the liniage with something like 22lbc or 6mm-WOA.

22 lbc is what you are after. A straight neck down of the 6.5 Grendel, or 264 lbc. There is also the 243 lbc, which is the same as the 6 AR. An awesome and very versatile and accurate round, my personal favorite AR round at the moment. Also straight neck downs of the Grendel. The Grendel started as a necked up 6mm ppc with the shoulder blown forward, in fact 6ppc dies can be used for the 243 lbc, backed out about 70 thousandths iirc. 6.5 Grendel bushing dies are by far the preferred method. There's tons of reading here, particularly on the 243 lbc.

Those are available from BHW in AR barrels, also Savage barrels, not sure about blanks, haven't looked.

FYI the 6 WOA is based of the 6.8 spc case, not Grendel.

Originally Posted By: AWSI just wanted to the names of them so I could look them up instead of just ordering a reamer of my own design like I did on the 204 cats(I catted the 204 the year brass was availible so there were no previous cats at the time).

It would be nice to build a cat that someone else has done all the leg work on, but with just names instead of descriptive names like 22-Grendle 30 degree how is one to know the liniage with something like 22lbc or 6mm-WOA.

The 22LBC was done back in 2011. At that time we couldn't use the name Grendel because Bill Alexander had the name "Grendel" copywrited. Les Bear is where the LBC came from because of the trademark. If it were done today, we could call it the 22-Grendel.

It's a great round with good brass. Performance is close to the 22BR. It works and feeds well from a magazine with the long for caliber bullets. Accuracy has been outstanding. I have shot many groups in the 1's with it.

Load it with the Redding 6.5 Grendel bushing die. The PPC die will not size the base down fare enough and will leave a slight belt on the brass. We have found this through trial and error. Back when the all this first started, there were no "S" type bushing dies in the Grendel so we made due with the PPC dies.

Thanks for the info.

After looking at it there is little to gain ballistically over my 204 cats other than it would fit in a short action, my 6mm and 25's take at least a 2.41" mag.

I'm a 25 cal fan having spent a lot of time behind a 250-3000, 257 Roberts and my 25-204. A 25-Grendle on a 527, Mini Mauser, L-461 or Mini Howa sounds like a fun little rifle and it would be able to shoot inexpensive bulk cast bullets for small game. It would be kind of a souped up 25 Copperhead (25-222 Rem) matching factory ballistics of the 250-3000 and non+P 257 Roberts.

Most Grendel's are based off an ar15 I would say. I know there are a few shooting them in bolt actions but most I would bet are on the ar15 platform.

I own one very nice AR, thank you Rich. I have no interest in another or hunting with one. My interest would be a compact little bolt gun that carries decent punch for coyotes to deer. My 25-204 is perfect as far a power is concerned but the platform could use a diet. In fact if I build a 25-Grendel on a sub-sized bolt gun the 25-204 barrel might just collect dust on the shelf

Originally Posted By: AWSThanks for the info.

After looking at it there is little to gain ballistically over my 204 cats other than it would fit in a short action, my 6mm and 25's take at least a 2.41" mag.

I'm a 25 cal fan having spent a lot of time behind a 250-3000, 257 Roberts and my 25-204. A 25-Grendle on a 527, Mini Mauser, L-461 or Mini Howa sounds like a fun little rifle and it would be able to shoot inexpensive bulk cast bullets for small game. It would be kind of a souped up 25 Copperhead (25-222 Rem) matching factory ballistics of the 250-3000 and non+P 257 Roberts.

Not exactly sure where you want to go but a 22 LBC has about 20% more case capacity over a 204. It is pushing 50's at 3750 or so and 77's at right on 3300.

The 243 LBC is pushing 95's at 2950-3000. I don't think the 204 derivatives can keep up and keep shooting long.

A 25 LBC would also be a big step up. I know a guy that's selling them from out East that I met several years ago and he loves his.

Greg

From looking a ballistics I think that the the 204 cats might be right in line with the Grendel.

The 25-204 is running 100gr bullets at 2850 fpls 85gr at 3000 and 75's at 3150 and I've been running the same 200 cases since 2005.

The 6mm-204 is running 55's at 3600-3700 fps, it is the only bullet I use in it. again long case life

the 22-204 is pushing 40 gr NBT's right at 4000 fps, I haven't run any 50's through it as the 40 is such a great pelt hunting bullet.

All of these are out of a 22" barrrel.

I do think I'm going to pick up one of the HB Mini Actions in 6.5G and run it as is until I get a feel for it.

Last edited:
Quite a few have necked the case up to 30 caliber, and use it for score shooting since the case has a .440" head. This allows them to rebarrel their 6PPCs to a 30 without bolt mods or case rebating. They shoot well.

Originally Posted By: StobQuite a few have necked the case up to 30 caliber, and use it for score shooting since the case has a .440" head. This allows them to rebarrel their 6PPCs to a 30 without bolt mods or case rebating. They shoot well.

Yes and a version of that currently holds the world record for group size. It was shot down in Texas a few years ago.

There are no less than 15 different names for the conversion with only minor changes that I have found in researching for my book.

Greg

There were some previous work with simular wildcats 25x47 on the 222 Rem Mag case and the 257 Kimber which kimber experimentally chamberred in their rifles also on the 222 Rem Mag Improved case. The 25-204 is nearly a clone of the 257 Kimber with no need to fire form.

I saw a guy on Saubier selling his .17 Grendel build parts.
scared.gif
He didn't get to finishing it but some guy snatched up what he was selling. Sure should be interesting

Not to bring back an old thread but did you ever build on the Howa mini? I am very interested in doing a very similar, I'd probably lean towards 6mm maybe 25 cal and with a short barrel probably 18" and a heavier-sporter profile. Goal of ending up between the 223 & 243 performance wise while having the handling of a super compact rifle.

Back