TC or Howa?

I had rather have a wal mart 700, Rem 783, Savage 110 than either a howa or TC for MANY reasons, and I have had a couple of Howa's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 000shock...Im planning for a RAP in .243 for a general purpose rifle ...
Good plan. I started with the 243 RAP, liked it enough to get a 6.5 creed RAP & dressed it up, then got the 22 WMR Ruger Am bolt.
All three got the same trigger treatment, and 6.5 creed got a boyds stock, glade bolt handle, metal bolt cover, Vortex Viper glass, and is my #1 range rig.
All three came threaded.

Also have a TC Venture in 22-250, one of the most accurate guns I've owned.
Almost traded the TC on a 22-250 RAP, but the trade $$ was bad, so got the TC threaded and its been hunting some since.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI had rather have a wal mart 700, Rem 783, Savage 110 than either a howa or TC for MANY reasons, and I have had a couple of Howa's. Im sure you got everyones attention with that statement. What is it about howa and tc you dont like? Or at least what you like about the others more? I am a big savage fan also, just want to try something different.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: 000shock...Im planning for a RAP in .243 for a general purpose rifle ...
Good plan. I started with the 243 RAP, liked it enough to get a 6.5 creed RAP & dressed it up, then got the 22 WMR Ruger Am bolt.
All three got the same trigger treatment, and 6.5 creed got a boyds stock, glade bolt handle, metal bolt cover, Vortex Viper glass, and is my #1 range rig.
All three came threaded. For a long time i bounced back and forth between the 6.5 cm and 243. Decided on 243 because my lgs has almost 20 different options for ammo. 6.5 ive found 3, and never more than one in stock at a time! Im guessing the 6.5 would tear up a coyote pretty bad. Lightest rounds (factory anyways) ive seen have been 120's. Prob a better option for deer than 243 though.

Originally Posted By: 000shock ..... Decided on 243 because my lgs has almost 20 different options for ammo. ..
Sounds like you're overdue to reload your own ammo.
Sierra makes a 85 gr varmint projectile in 6.5 mm that my Creedmoor RAP shoots real good over H100V powder.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: 000shock ..... Decided on 243 because my lgs has almost 20 different options for ammo. ..
Sounds like you're overdue to reload your own ammo.
Sierra makes a 85 gr varmint projectile in 6.5 mm that my Creedmoor RAP shoots real good over H100V powder. Just had to say somethin to get me thinkin again, huh! Are those lighter 6.5's made for grendal velocities instead of creedmoor though? I would love to see how the damage is on a coyote with one.

Yep, projectile selection shouldn't limit you with 6.5 mm.

Here's a www quote, from Sierra marketing, on the 85, introduced well before the Grendel, in 1960:
In rifles, the 85 grain #1700 Hollow Point is a thinly jacketed varmint bullet originally designed for medium-velocity cartridges in 6.5mm caliber, such as the Swedish 6.5x55 mm. Explosive expansion will occur in varmints and small game even at moderate velocities. It is appropriate for the entire range of 6.5mm cartridges (at appropriate velocities) for either varmint hunting or target shooting. Quarter minute of angle accuracy is quite common, even from the 264 magnum cartridges. It is equally accurate in cartridges with smaller case capacities.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlYep, projectile selection shouldn't limit you with 6.5 mm. Yea, looking around on 6.5 bullet options there might be a few that would be half decent for coyotes. I realize its prob not gonna be fur friendly either way, but thats why the compass 204 is on order now. Found another good price packaged with a vortex CF II 3-9x40. Thanks again for the link slick!

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksWeatherby vanguard. Same rifle as the howa and usually cheaper. maybe its just local to me, but the howa and weatherby prices are about the same, if not maybe weatherby is a bit more expensive. The ones in stock around here also dont have the heavy bbl and laminate stock. I realize the tc doesnt either, but its a trade for the twist rate for me. I plan on getting ahold of boyds and seeing if they have anything in the plans for the compass also.

Originally Posted By: el_cazador713Savage... always wanted a Howa but always found something else to get my hands on first I was really close to emailing a guy about a savage m10 predator 22-250 and burris pred 4.5-14x42. Guy wanted $1k, which i didnt think was a horrible price or anything, just didnt have that money and wasnt the cal i was wanting. Would have been a great rig no doubt though.

Back