Game cart options

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Fellas, I'm considering the acquisition of new, more robust game cart. I currently own and have used the heck out of an entry level Cabela's model kinda like this Herters. A few months ago I used to to haul an oryx from way out in the desert and it nearly killed me. There has to be something better.

I'd like to hear of your experiences with game carts. What do you like? Not like? Recommend? I like the Game Tote, but wonder if it's worth the cost of admission.

So, fire away. What should I get? Thanks

I've used the one like the Herters on a few elk. I'm pretty sure it had a dual wheel kit on it. We were hauling out on an old forest service road so it really wasn't too bad. I tend to think in rougher country, sagebrush, rock, it wouldn't have gone so well. But one guy could have ran it where we were. I've used a few home made ones and didn't have much luck. Wheelbarrow style tires go flat. And you really need adjustable handles. Cause if you're short and your buddy's 6'6 you sure aren't going to have much fun.

I have a smaller Cabelas that I use for duck hunting to haul my decoy bags out to the beach, about a 1/2 mile one way. We use it it the house to haul construction materials also, it hauls quite a load.

I have bent a extended handle from EMT conduit that makes it much easier to use. With the extended handle two guys can pull it without having to bend down. I also used to hitch my dog to the front and use the handle to steer from behind, nice to have a dog to retrieve and haul the decoys. A dual wheel kit would make it easier in the soft stuff.

I'll see if I can get pics in the morning.

If it's not my elk, this is how I do it.
tt2.gif

If it's my animal, I load it on the wheeler and sit on top of it and drive it out.

Originally Posted By: crapshootIf it's not my elk, this is how I do it.
tt2.gif

If it's my animal, I load it on the wheeler and sit on top of it and drive it out.

That's good on private land with permission or public land where allowed, but it's often not allowed or even practical where I hunt. ATVs are handy, but a game cart is cheaper, easier to load in the truck, and easier on the terrain than most ATVers.

And yes, I saw your emoticon, so I know you're partly funnin' me.
smile.gif

Interestingly, there was a fella with a Game Tote hauler on the oryx hunt I went on over the weekend. Though I didn't get to see it in action, I inspected in his truck and heard some about its use. It seems like a promising, if somewhat expensive, option for game retrieval.

Most the areas I hunt atv's are only allowed on existing roads and trails with the exception of downed game retrieval. Only place its an absolute no go is posted "wilderness" land.

I share your concern for trying to find the easiest/best option. I have a cabin in the mountains and hunt deer/black bear. I have a two wheeled game cart that I got from either BassPro or Cabelas. It works okay, but it is not always easy especially on the very rocky terrain. I think I paid like $100 for it and it has big spoked bicycle type wheels. It had this cheesy thin cloth material that I replaced with very thin riveted on aluminum. It especially needed the plates on the sides because the animal would manage to slide out into the spokes of the wheel. I would post a photo, but I keep it at the cabin, sorry.
My other "option" currently is one of those big plastic sheets that you tie to the animal and drag. The trick to that thing is to tie it to the animal and then drag the animal, not the sheet. It is slick and smooth and slides over rocks and such very easily.
Since I am on private land I can drag either with a 4 wheeler, so I have thought about getting one of those big 4 wheeled carts with the fat tires and little hand winch to drag the animal up on. Might be handy with a big bear.
I don't believe I want to try and "balance" a large game animal on the one wheel of that "Game Tote" thing....I guess it is better than dragging the animal itself on the ground {translates to better than nothing}, but it don't look cheap and it don't seem like it would be easy or much of an improvement. Could be one of those "where you been all my life" awakenings, but trying to balance a large game animal on one wheel....I seriously doubt it.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamFellas...
... A few months ago I used [game cart] to to haul an oryx from way out in the desert and it nearly killed me. There has to be something better. So, fire away. What should I get? Thanks

Good frame pack and game bags. I hope to never have the need to actually drag another big game animal intact/whole.

Yeah, those have their place too. But on the relatively flat desert terrain, a good game hauler should work better. Besides, in this situation I wanted the whole critter so I could take my time skinning and caping for a nice rug. Oryx have beautiful hides, especially the faces, and a rug really does them justice.

I've packed plenty, and though I don't mind it when necessary, I don't take it on willingly. In a sec I'll post up a picture of the critter and you'll see why. They're darn near as big as elk, which means several trips...

Best way is to pack every thing out very rewarding, leave most of the mess behind when you get home put in fridge and can take your time to process meat.

Best way is to pack every thing out very rewarding, leave most of the mess behind when you get home put in fridge and can take your time to process meat.

Last edited:
Sometimes that's the way to go trapper, and other times it makes more sense to take out whole. It's cleaner and allows for recovery of the full hide, which I really want in some cases. When terrain permits, I'd rather wheel the critter to the truck, then string it up on the boom with winch to break it down. Keeps all that meat nice and clean.

I have one like AWS but it is kinda small and the handle is to short. My buddy has a bigger cart, both wider and longer, with a mesh bag for water or whatever. His also has two handles rather than one, still only has a single wheel on each side but it works well with deer 200-250 lbs. Haven't tried it with anything bigger. Came from Cabelas I think.

Yep ww it's deer cart made by hawk called the crawler deer cart. Looked pretty cool from the little demo I watched at Scheels Saturday. Troy you might want to look into this one. The price was 149.95

I would think the cart designs are good, and might be well served to look into getting those larger set of mountain bike tires. Those fat ones with some tough thick inner tubes for thorns.

With enough pressure in them they might make pulling them easier, so they don't dig in.

Originally Posted By: Born2hunt96Unfortunately for me my dad has always viewed me as his "game cart"...
shocked.gif

LOL...

The Hawk cart isn't bad, but I've had two wheel blow a tube, and one wheel/rim break. Kind of annoying.

The Viking Solutions one is really nice, although it's more expensive, and can double as a hitch hauler like the Hawk.

Back