22 hellcat

Lorne

kind of curious if anybody has bitten the bullet with one of these new cartages they sound like about a 22-250 in a ar 15 platform but not sure what to think about them yet if anybody has had the chance to get one yet kind of curious about them thanks any info would be great

I think I would still be using 22-250 brass for it...I cant see cutting down Lapua brass just to have it tossed in the grass via AR-15! Otherwise, the cartridge looks great!!!

Originally Posted By: steve garrettwhere do you get a barrel made for it. what do they do with the barrel extention. IMO doing something with the BR case makes more sense.

You do realize the hellcat case is basically a stretched br case?

Call the guy up and have him chamber one in a br and your done.

Last I heard, he is using arp 800 series bolts and extensions for the .473 bolt face.

The br case at least gets you brass that doesn't need to be messed with. I wish we could get a factory round and parts based off the [beeep] cat or br

Originally Posted By: steve garrettThe br case at least gets you brass that doesn't need to be messed with. I wish we could get a factory round and parts based off the [beeep] cat or br

What do you need it to be so main stream for? The parts are there. Buy them, build it and have one. I'd bet he will chamber a barrel in a br if you just call or email the guy. His Wildcats are built on the same bolt/extension that arp used for there br and brx.

If you don't want to put the work in then just settle for your 223.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: steve garrettThe br case at least gets you brass that doesn't need to be messed with. I wish we could get a factory round and parts based off the [beeep] cat or br

What do you need it to be so main stream for? The parts are there. Buy them, build it and have one. I'd bet he will chamber a barrel in a br if you just call or email the guy. His Wildcats are built on the same bolt/extension that arp used for there br and brx.

If you don't want to put the work in then just settle for your 223.

I hear ya. but there would be alot of advantages of it being mainstream. what if BHW had barrels that could just be ordered? brass is already there. how about factory ammo. the other is magazines what do you end up using for a magazine. a number of options would also be nice with that.

there are also those that claim an .473 bolt face leaves to little meat under the barrel extension. the bushmaster and socom, I think are limited to much lower pressure.

development with plug and play parts are in my view the only way to see real gains over 223 and 6.8 based cases. The dpms gen 2 is another option but they never want seem to want to make anything besides 308

I built mine in late January. Like MWP said, the parts are out there and, imo, worth the trouble of putting together. I chose a 22" SPR contour barrel-rifle gas, Vltor upper and Geissele 15" handguard. I chose that length as a compromise of trying to maintain as much length as possible for velocity, but not have it ridiculously long with a suppressor on.

The combination of the ARP bolt and barrel extension, the small primer pocket, and the overall excellence of Lapua brass allow you to run pressures/velocities that are beyond most other small frame AR combos. Yes. Losing brass is painful: use a brass catcher!

I first tried 55gr Hornady SPSX's with Varget since I had a lot of both around. While they worked(not a real surprise, but they were pretty rough on reds) and I was able to get decent velocities, my initial goal was to have as flat of a trajectory as possible for night hunting so I ended up settling on 39.1grains of ARComp behind a 40gr NBT. This produced 4320fps out of my 22" barrel. A bit below Bruce's max, but the next node was too high in pressure. Do the math on that BC/velocity: it's FLAT... For an AR especially.

So far, it has dropped 2 yotes, a handful of reds and various coons, opossums, and skunks. Young coons, possums, skunks are pretty messed up. Fat winter coons, coyotes, large fox are all minimal or no exit. Shoot them around the edges though and all bets are off!

It's not a difficult round to load for. Just necking down and some initial trimming. No neck turning was required. The only 'special' requirements were some deburring of the extractor and the preemptive use of an adjustable gas block since its run suppressed.

I anticipate many loadings per case. I'm over 10x fired on my 6x47L Tikka/Bartlein/Manners cases. I used one lot of this brass and it's now 3x fired Hellcat brass. Primer pockets are still tight. Several annealings at this point though.

Originally Posted By: steve garrett
development with plug and play parts are in my view the only way to see real gains over 223 and 6.8 based cases. The dpms gen 2 is another option but they never want seem to want to make anything besides 308

That's not how I define gains.

Originally Posted By: JakelI built mine in late January. Like MWP said, the parts are out there and, imo, worth the trouble of putting together. I chose a 22" SPR contour barrel-rifle gas, Vltor upper and Geissele 15" handguard. I chose that length as a compromise of trying to maintain as much length as possible for velocity, but not have it ridiculously long with a suppressor on.

The combination of the ARP bolt and barrel extension, the small primer pocket, and the overall excellence of Lapua brass allow you to run pressures/velocities that are beyond most other small frame AR combos. Yes. Losing brass is painful: use a brass catcher!

I first tried 55gr Hornady SPSX's with Varget since I had a lot of both around. While they worked(not a real surprise, but they were pretty rough on reds) and I was able to get decent velocities, my initial goal was to have as flat of a trajectory as possible for night hunting so I ended up settling on 39.1grains of ARComp behind a 40gr NBT. This produced 4320fps out of my 22" barrel. A bit below Bruce's max, but the next node was too high in pressure. Do the math on that BC/velocity: it's FLAT... For an AR especially.

So far, it has dropped 2 yotes, a handful of reds and various coons, opossums, and skunks. Young coons, possums, skunks are pretty messed up. Fat winter coons, coyotes, large fox are all minimal or no exit. Shoot them around the edges though and all bets are off!

It's not a difficult round to load for. Just necking down and some initial trimming. No neck turning was required. The only 'special' requirements were some deburring of the extractor and the preemptive use of an adjustable gas block since its run suppressed.

I anticipate many loadings per case. I'm over 10x fired on my 6x47L Tikka/Bartlein/Manners cases. I used one lot of this brass and it's now 3x fired Hellcat brass. Primer pockets are still tight. Several annealings at this point though.
That is some very impressive speed there!!

Originally Posted By: JakelOriginally Posted By: steve garrett

That's not how I define gains.

Olympic arms has now released their .473. Bolt and extension for sale to the public. How's that for plug and play parts!

On FB. Search for the 22 Hellcat page or BD's Crazy [beeep] Wildcats. Talk to Bruce Finnegan.Sorry for such a delay. He is turning a few barrels out soon though.

Back