cooon dog training.

ohihunter2014

okay guys looking for some advice. my buddy has a 1.5yo norweigen elk hound hes had since it was weeks old. the dog gets interested in scent and what not from what my buddy says and will somewhat tree squirrel but we are thinking maybe see if he will run coon. we have been running him in the woods a lot the last year or so and some days he goes out pretty far and other times he stays within 50yards of us. I think its a waste of time for any of it cause the dog doesn't go out far enough but wanted to see what you all think?

maybe trap a coon in a live trap and let him get used to it and cut the coon loose and tree it and see what he does?

The best coon hound i owned would only go deep first drop in a section and that was only a coulple hundred yards or so and then cirle back if he didnt strike anything. After that you had to walk with him a hundred yards or so and he would make another, but smaller circle. Killed a truck load of coon with that dog while going to a buddies high powered deep hunting slick treeing dog. When he struck a track distence was not an issue he would take the track to its end. I loved and miss that dog.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on it working out too good.....to the best of my knowledge the NEH is a "sight hound", that is to say that they run the animal more by sight than scent. Not knocking your dog here, but running after an elk they are looking right at is a different ball game entirely than treeing a raccoon by nothing but scent. The NEH does follow some scent to a degree, but you've got a very large heavy animal that produces a lot more scent than a 15 pound raccoon. Raccoons are chased up a tree by a dog that follows scent, and there is generally not a whole lot of it, so the dog has to have one heck of a nose on him to get the job done.
Try it, you might have a dog that can tree more raccoons than any other dog alive, but I wouldn't bank on it happening......there's a reason we use the breeds of dog that we do for treeing raccoon.
Still, no reason you cant have some fun and try.

Edit: I am leaving out the part about having instinct to "tree"....the coon hound breeds are referred to as being "tree hounds" because they will {not always, but they are supposed to} stay at the tree the animal went up and bark to, A. Keep the animal treed....and B. Call you to the place where they and the game are. While a beagle, for example is a scent hound it has zero instinct to tree. As far as I know the NEH has no real tree instinct and never had any real reason to have it...elk don't climb trees. When you say he "trees squirrels", there is a big difference between seeing a squirrel run up a tree and barking at it for a few minutes {if that long} and running by scent to a tree and then staying there and barking {for as long as it takes to get you there} at an animal that the dog never sees and only smells a very little amount of scent. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back