coon lamp?

ohihunter2014

I occasionally coon hunt with a buddy and hes got a vest thing with a spot light, walking lamp and and headlamp. I usually carry a coast headlamp and a small spotlight to light for him when its his turn to shoot but is a pain to carry the light and mess with the headlamp for walking. ive been looking at nite eyes but they seem to be just a headlamp.

any suggestions?

21 volt Bright Eyes for me. We don't really spot coon for each other to shoot though. When you get to the tree, if you have a shot, you take it.

I have the Sunfire HD. It is a headlamp and it has a small battery the size and weight of a pack of cigarettes. You can get it with the battery on a cord to go on your belt, which is what I have. Or, you can get it with the battery mounted to the bump cap. It is very light weight and extremely very bright. This was their 2014 year light and at that time you had to choose what one color walk/shine light you wanted between red, green or amber. They have since came out with more updated versions with a switch that will allow you to select red, green or amber colors in the walking/tree shining light.
The Sunfire has a slight yellow tint to the main bright light to help make whatever you are shining more natural looking and easier to identify.
I have a separate "shooting" light mounted on my rifle {10-22} that lights up the scope field of view for easy shooting at the tree. I don't have to worry about trying to line up a light, raccoon, and scope separately.
There are many good professional coon hunting lights out there and I would own/hunt with any one of them....there really are no bad ones....of course, there really are no cheap ones either!!!

I tried a lot of different combinations over the years, but after 25yrs of fighting fur, I've worked it out to carrying the same 2 or 3 lights (types) when coon hunting over hounds.

I walk in the dark most of the time, the world is a lot lighter at night than most folks realize, but only if you don't "night blind" yourself with your lights.

1) A headlamp, preferably with a simple selector for red or dim vs. bright. I do not like the type which require 20 clicks of the same button to toggle through brightness or color settings, I just want a simple on/off. I have a couple cheap ones with 3 position switches, red to the right, off in center, bright white to the left. I have higher dollar headlamps from Coast, GRDE, and Petzl, but more often, I end up using cheaper ones. This is used as my walking light and to illuminate my sights when shooting. I usually carry a spare (cheap AA or AAA battery version) in a vest or jacket pocket, which can be nice for looking down into holes or hollows, when I'm not carrying the 3rd light below, or of course, as a backup in case something happens to the primary headlamp.

2) ~1-2M candle power Spotlight, preferably LED. I have been using Brinkman brand spotlights for over 20yrs, currently have 2 of the Qbeam's commonly found at farm supply stores or walmart. I really like the version with 3 big cree LED's plus 33 red LED's. Simple on off trigger, plus 3 position selector for red, dim, and bright white. I sling it across body on a braided twine or paracord lanyard. This is only used for spotting and shooting once located. I tend to hold the trigger with my middle finger, then yoke my index finger out to support the forend of my rifle, or I'll cross my wrists, and rest the back of my right hand against the spotlight body when shooting my pistol (most common).

3) If I carry a 3rd light, it's usually a 6v "lantern battery" handheld like this pictured below. This is on another twine lanyard across my body on the opposite hip from my spotlight. This doubles as a walking light AND spotting/shooting light. The handle design works well to hold in my left hand under the forend of my rifle when shooting. I can also hook one finger through the end of the handle, hanging the tail of the lamp against the back of my other fingers of my support hand when shooting my Mark II pistol - with the rifle or the pistol, the light points where the firearm points, and illuminates the coon in the tree. I only carry this type maybe 10-20% of the time.

[img:center]https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/51df187...mp;odnBg=FFFFFF[/img]
51df187c-5909-4adc-baf9-e972deebe240_1.3b83472bbd1bf686c57ca718b269b9c9.jpeg

My dad uses a kit from Nitelite magazine, forget who makes it, it's a battery pack belt with a hat/helmet mount headlight, a walking light on the belt, and a handheld spotlight which holsters on the belt. It works well for him. I don't see it on their site today though, so it might be discontinued. The first one he got ~20yrs ago had a row of what looked like D-cell batteries across the back of the belt, but they were integral, and when the recharging gave up, Nitelite replaced it with a belt which used a pair of 6v recharable batteries, but had plugs for his accessory lights. It's a slick rig, as the battery packs last FOREVER, and the rheostats on the headlamp and the spotlight were really slick.

Last edited:
Back