Got my Photon in yesterday.

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
Just very basic entry level into the whole NV/thermal game, I know. I had reservations ordering it. I wasn't sure if it would be good enough to do what I wanted to do or if I would end up being disappointed in it. You know, its one of those things you can read about and read about, but until you have some actual real world experience and see it for yourself, you just don't know.

Well, I am glad to say I love it! I think it is going to do exactly what I need it to do. I got the 6.5x50L model. I put it on a Encore 223 chopped to 18" with a Specwar 556K. Put a little night-time camo on it with cerakote, and did the barrel in Tactical Grey while I was at it. Used some SWFA rings to mount it up, and used the 45 degree picatinny cap on the forward one to have a place to mount an illuminator. I put a IR bulb in my W402ZF, and it lights up really good. However though, it barely, barely fits with that mount, and it is pretty big and bulky. I may end up going to some type of T-20 style light instead to save some size/weight and get a better fit.

So I grabbed my tripod setup and went out into my driveway about 10:30 last night when I got it all mounted up. We own a small field across the street from our house, and on the other side of that one of the neighbors has some goats and donkeys. Range is anywhere from 150-225 yards or so. I will check actual distances with my rangefinder today. With the naked eye I could see nada, zilch, nothing. Firing up the Photon I could see "something", but not a positive ID. Using the on board illuminator I could see pretty good. Positive ID for sure and would not have had any trouble at all killing any of them. With the 402 I could see further than I really want to shoot with the 223.

Mainly I got this setup to be able to sit up over bait sites (dead cows and such during the winter) and pick off some coyotes. I have done that quite a bit using regular lights but most coyotes flare really quick when you hit them with light on a bait site. I would like to do some night calling as well but realize that will be very difficult using the rifle to scan. Eventually I want to get a handheld of some type to go with it but the budget has to recover first.

Anyways, I am super pumped up and happy with it.

FullSizeR by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

Last edited:

For the money the Photon is a great buy. It has pros and cons like most everything but it allows a lot of guys to get into the night vision game without breaking their wallet.

Great unit for low cost NV, with a good IR light you are good for several hundred yards.

What is amazing is looking thru a $9K thermal, then looking thru the under $600 photon and the photon's picture is clearer. It's not a thermal image but it is a b/w image which has more detail.
I have one on my 300 blk and it will give way better ID capability then a thermal scope.
A spotted hog looks spotted in the photon vs the thermal they all look alike. But detection ability the thermals rule the night.

I been happy with my Photon. A good IR really helps. If you're looking for a T-20 IR buy any cheap T20 on Ebay and sent it here...........

You get the best IR emitter on the market and a rheostat.

Originally Posted By: HTRN57Since it is now the off season and I have a little more time to work on projects, I can convert pretty much any T-20 out there to the rheostat tailcap switch for $50 (includes return shipping). This conversion will also include the new Osram 4715AS IR 850nm LED rated at 1,400 millampere (mA) since the 3 mode LEDs will not work with the rheostat switch. If anyone wants one converted just send it to me with your check or cash to:

High Tech Red Neck, Inc
14236 Hillcrest Lane
Rushville, IL 62681

Please also send me an email at hightechredneckinc@gmail.com so I can keep track of what is coming and going.

Thanks, Kevin

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthis is about the cheapest i find on ebay without ordering from china.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UF-T20-OSRAM-Cre...526.m2548.l4275

would this one work for sending off to htrn57?

That is a Unique Fire. If thats what UF stands for... I use an Evolva from amazon. Its $50 with light, battery, charger and tethered switch. It works all nite no problem for me on high. When I get time I'm going to see if HTRN can upgrade it for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys. I have really liked the Photon so far. I zeroed it in last night, easy as pie. One shot at 25 from the tripod, adjust. Second shot at 25 from the tripod to make sure I was adjusting the correct way, and adjust again. Third shot from 70 off tripod, getting pretty close, adjust a bit more. 4 shots at 100 off my load testing bench, dead money where I wanted it, and all 4 in less that 1 MOA. That was using the Sierra 1365 which is the bullet I really wanted to shoot in this rig. I would feel pretty confident with it at this point but need to do some 200 yard verification.

As stated by others, the onboard laser illuminator gives kind of a grainy image. It does seem to give pretty good ID out to 150, maybe 175, judging by the playing around I have done with it the last few nights. The W402ZF really lights things up. I can't see far enough here at the house to really test the limits of it. But it does give a much better picture in the scope, not grainy at all. Much more nice and sharp than the on board laser. It is big and bulky though and barely clears the objective with the mount I have. If I can get the same performance in the smaller, lighter, T-20 package I am all for that.

If HTRN had a preference as to which T-20 to convert, I would appreciate the input. I really think that is the route I would like to go.

I's give Kevin a shout. I'm sure he can tell you the best one to convert. I agree on your bullet choice too. I really like the Sierra 1365.

you are going to love NV and be amazed how oblivious they are compared to a light!

BTW has anyone seen the insane price they have on the 4.6 at midsouth?

Back