Number one rule

isu22yote

Whats the number one rule you always follow when calling yotes ? In example, Im a bowhunter and the #1 rule is always play the wind. Ive tried calling yotes probably 10 times with just my foxpro wildfire 2 and never succeeded... Never even seen one. Tonight I walked probably a quarter mile in a pasture, sat quite for 5 minutes went with Male howl,
wait 2 minutes female howl wait 5 minutes baybee cotton tail wait 5 minutes and then finally pup distress but no luck.

with coyotes, as soon as you set a rule, the coyote will show you that rule is made to be broken.

but having the wind right is up there at the top for me. if the wind aint right i will pass that spot until it is.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwith coyotes, as soon as you set a rule, the coyote will show you that rule is made to be broken.

"If the rule you followed led you to this of what use was the rule?"

grin.gif

Play the wind, which I didn't follow tonight and got winded by two yotes. Kicking myself in the butt! Well, I know where they are coming from now and next time will set up according to the wind. I guess that's why I get out there a little early. To re-remember the important lessons!

#1 rule even though you are suprized when on shows up, don't be suprized cause it will effect your shot. Keep after it there is nothing magic.

Sometimes I never know if coyotes are around til calling.
My first rule is to go where there is cellphone reception and rescuers can get their rigs in.
The second rule is to shoot. I always break this rule and try calling them to the truck.
Since I can't follow the rules dressing warm has paid off a few times.

As an e-caller, one of the closest things to a real rule that I have, is make sure I can see the caller from where I'm sitting.

- DAA

Almost forgot, the Number One Most Important Iron Clad Rule. Don't EVER break this rule.

Keep your mouth closed when you're stripping the tail.

You're welcome.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: crapshoot#1 rule- Call where the coyotes are.

This is so true! And I turn on caller and let run 15-20 min adjusting volume up and down from time to time. But hunting where you know there is coyotes makes it a lot more productive.

1. Wind direction

2. Scent

3. Try for a bit of elevation above probable target area

4. Have a good partner who can range and read wind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwith coyotes, as soon as you set a rule, the coyote will show you that rule is made to be broken.

"If the rule you followed led you to this of what use was the rule?"

grin.gif

the rule was of no use.

wait a minute. what rule? did i have a rule? did not mean to. sorry.
cry.gif

i hate rules. and authority figures. and hillary. but wife says it is not good to hate.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob#1 most important rule, make sure you have toilet paper and a shovel in your vehicle.

i think thats officially rule #2...

rule #1 is never trust a fart!

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbob#1 most important rule, make sure you have toilet paper and a shovel in your vehicle.

i think thats officially rule #2...

rule #1 is never trust a fart!

grin.gif

And take a leak before you sit down!!
grin.gif

Besides having coyotes and watching the wind, take a couple of extra moments to make sure you are set up in the best possible spot for that location before you start to call. Many times already calling and thought to myself, dang if I was only 30yds over there...

Back