Cold Weather Calling Clothes? What gear do you wear?

Slowly, but surely, cooler temps are coming. Fall is around the bend and Id say we are all happy about that. Put away the fishing poles, and pick up the coyote call and the rifle its about that time!!!

In colder temps, what clothing do you wear? Is there a specific brand or type you like to stay warm in? Something that is not too heavy or bulky but at the same time keeps you warm and dry.Personally, Ill be buying a whole new wardrobe this fall. I think Im leaning toward the Cabela's Wooltimate series. Ill prob purchase the vest, jacket and pants, along with some quality base layer clothing. This series has many 5 star reviews. What will you be wearing this fall?

It doesn't get real cold here, so I don't get very carried away. For mornings in the teens, I just put on Carhartt bibs and a decent camo jacket over my normal calling gear. I'm usually shucking them by the third stand. I have become quite a fan of vests though, and now wear a fleece one nearly all the time while hunting. Works great for layering when it's cold and serves as a handy load-bearing top layer when it warms up.

I have no experience with the Wooltimate series.

I simply use my deer hunting clothes. I have 3 sets of scent blocker fleece outfits (tops and bottoms). All 3 are different weights. Some days I wear all 3, some days I only wear one. They are great at cutting wind and are water resistant enough to keep me dry from snow and rain, minus a complete down pour. They are really comfortable and the tops all have the downward angled zippered chest pocket that fits my foxpro remote perfectly.
A few years ago I did buy a Cabelas insulated snow camo set. They are worth a look if you get snow in your part of cali.
It drops down into the negatives a few times a year up here so being warm is a must to lengthen my stands.
I also don't have any experience with the Wooltimate clothes but Cabelas has an awesome return policy .
Don't forget about your feet!!!

Last edited:
Cold weather = Wool and Silk around here. Merino wool, no itch and no odor. Broad temp comfort range so no pools of sweat going up or freezing while cooling off. And it's quiet.

Cold weather here is nothing like some of you get I'd say high 30s. I'll wear wool socks denim jeans and a thick jacket. That being said I HATE cold weather which is why I'm a desert dweller

How cold do you expect to be out in? That Cabelas Wooltimate is very heavy weight stuff for extremely cold temperatures. It works well for single digit and hunting in the 'teens but over the mid-twenties range it would burn me up.

As stated above, merino wool over quality sweat wicking base layers works for me. I like First Lite and Filson.

What keeps me warm most of all is coffee, nicotine and adrenaline. I wear earth toned, thrift store clothes mixed with Army surplus. If it is that cold I just try to keep minimal skin exposed to the wind. Calling coyote you are only sitting still for 20 or 30 minutes at a time, then your up and moving again. Wear to much and you will break a sweat moving between stands, staying dry, not trying to call during high winds and moving warms a person up decently. I sit still for hours hunting deer and for that I use a heater body suit.

I live in Phx, so cold here is kind of a joke, but going north to the Grand Canyon, and there are times i have been out there in -20. Go east to the eastern side of the state it's teens and occasionally -10.
I usually stay out over night and sleep without a tent, just on a cot and a sleeping bag next to the truck. (even in the -20) I actually prefer the -0 or colder, just something about it.

Keep in mind we have 20 to 30 degree swings from cold to high in a day.

For this i use a little different technique than most.

LOTS of LAYERS.. like 5 or 6.

I have camo that is tee shirt material that is bigger than i need (m2D), and pants that are a little over sized.
I bring base layers silk, and wear that once lows are below 20. Otherwise i don't since in a hour or so after sunrise it's going to be 40 and then 50.

I have two sets of boots. Uninsultated for anything above 20. I have 600s for anything below that. (rahter have over insultation to be prepared for -20)
I wear the base layers and then on top will wear a turtle neck, and two fleece jackets (one is a pull over under an actual thick fleece jacket) then put the camo tee shirt over the top. I have found that i have 3 sets of gloves too. non insulation, lined, and then wool gloves(one is 5 finger for left hand to run remote (USMC has a wool military ones that have rubber dots to allow touch and grip on remotes), the other is a 3 finger shooter wool mitten for the right hand)

As the day warms i strip off the layers.. between stands.. fast and easy to stay comfortable. I like to be just getting cold at the end of a 20 minute stand, so i don't get to hot walking in or out of a stand. Wear a camo fleece skull cap on stand and take it off walking in and out.

I also found that a neck fleece is really nice, cheap and keeps you from needing other layers when you would normally put them on.

Since i don't deal with negative temps that often, i have sets of Field jacket liners (top and bottom) Those things.. WOW.. THey are super light, dry really fast, and feels like you are walking around in a sleeping bag comfortable.(if i was to sit in a deer stand, these would be the ticket) They are usually $10 on a lot of sites. I like the pants with buttons down the sides so if you take them off during the day you can do so without taking your pants and boots off.

For the Snow.. again since it's not that common, i couldn't justify spending the money, so i went to the fabric store, bought the pattern for Scrubs XXL(couple of bucks) and some 800 Denier white fabric for $6 per yard and 4 yards made pants and jacket.(denier is water resistant and sitting in snow never had a leak) I got some elastic for the sides of the jacket to allow for layers (and future gut growth) I added a sweatshirt through pocket at the waste line for putting gloves and things in, as well as an oversize left breast pocket to put the remote in. ( added a hood too, but hardly ever use it unless it's snowing or windy)
I then sprayed a little tan camo paint across the top to add some lines and faint shadow lines to dirty up the white.

I also camo painted the shooting sticks wood camo on one side and Snow on the other.

jacket liner
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/607405...ASABEgLBofD_BwE

for the pants
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/446754...ASABEgI9ivD_BwE

for the gloves i was talking about $3-10
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1918118007/military-surplus-usmc-glove-insert-olive-drab

3 finger gloves for under $20 that come with outer shells that are leather palmed. I just sprayed them with some white paint to make them lighter.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/191818...ell-with-liners

Poly as a base, then layer upon layer of fleece/wool as necessary with a wind and waterproof un-insulated jacket as my outer covering. Sept/Oct are some of the hardest months to dress for since it is frequently 20-25 in the am and as high as 90 in the late afternoon. Seventy degree swings in temperature are not at all rare.

I have and use the Cabelas Wooltimate pants and jacket with windshear. I will say they are warm but not overly bulky.

If you want to be hot at -10 get the outfitter series berber fleece bibs and parka however, you will look like the kid on The Christmas Story movie trying to walk around.

Last edited:
It gets pretty cold here in Michigan in the winter. I'm usually pretty comfortable in these bibs and jacket with a layer or two on under them.

Gloves are Kings Camo, couple cheap snow Camo hats and white face mask. The artic Mucks are awesome. Been in some cold bleep with them and feet were warm. Bibs and jacket are Habit from Sams Club. Got a steal on them. Bought (2) sets of snow Camo and (1) set of regular Camo.

I used to be wool everything.. warm for sure but heavy.. especially if it gets wet.. made the switch to Sitka gear early last fall... I hunted in temperatures down to minus 10 last winter... Good base layers with the 90% pants and tops.. not heavy or restrictive when post holing thru knee deep snow too get to a stand.... granted you won't sit there for hours like that but assuming your predator hunting your probably on the move after 30 minutes anyways... and any moisture you do absorb will dry out on its own extremely quick...

I'm not a fan boy... the stuff just works.... I keep adding pieces to the system as funds allow...

Go from short sleeve to long sleeve
thumbup.gif

Definitely polypro next to the skin. I get that free. Then usually sweat pants and some kinda cammys over that. I don't spend much on hunting clothes. I carry and insulated butt rest so that keeps me warm and off the ground. If snow I wear a white turtleneck over everything. I stay warm.

I don't usually wear special clothes except for bunny boots. My usual every day clothes consisting of insulate jeans, a tee shirt with a long sleeve shirt over that, a hooded sweat shirt, and then with a heavy coat(only when hunting/trapping) & a wool hat is my standard. My stands are between 20 to 45 minutes. Weather is usually -15 to about 10 above with bouts down to -40 when I hit a cold spot or get caught out. I hunt Sept(its warm then @ only 5*) until the end of March (when it is warm again).

Kings camo storm fleece pants are good to single digits,add light to medium polypropylene long johns for below zero. Have stayed warm and dry in the snow. Top- light polypropylene shirt, packable primaloft jacket with a white or snow cameo cover. I have merino wool top/bottom but save that stuff for mountain hunting trips,use the cheaper stuff for winter predators.

Most of the time uninsulated coveralls over my pants and a long sleeve T shirt is all I need to keep warm. If the uninsulated coveralls are to warm I have some mesh leafy suit pants and jacket that are much cooler than the coveralls are.

When It gets real cold like under 40 degrees "LOL" I put on a light jacket over my T shirt, under my uninsulated coveralls.

I wear thin camo cotton gloves most of the time but if it does get colder than normal I have some good warm gloves to put on.

Some type of wicking longjohns under heavy duty German wool army pants A Irish wool fishermans sweater and vest if it is sub zero and either gillie jacket or white cotton hooded cover if snow. I started knitting last winter and have made a couple heavy winter hats with built in facemasks that fold up into the hat when moving and some over gloves that work well.

I never dress too warm as I"ll be moving before the cold can really seep in. I never post hole into a stand, skis and snow shoes are always in the truck.

Back