Need new summer boots that last

wahoowad

5 years ago I bought a pair of Danner Jackal II boots that met my requirements:

[*]light weight[*]waterproof[*]breathable[*]uninsulated[/list]

The boot construction has lasted 5 years except the waterproof part probably gave up after 2 years max. They otherwise fit me great and remain good wearing boots for my summer varmint hunting. But I'm ready for a new boot of the same style/requirements where the waterproofing lasts. I wear them maybe once or twice a week between mid-spring and mid-fall, so maybe 20 to 30 trips of a couple hours stalking/hiking.

I'm also curious of people's opinions/experiences if any boot waterproofing should be expected to last more than a couple years anyway. Is 2 years the norm? 5 years? I've never had anything waterproof (Gotetex, other materials) last very long
so just trying to determine if these Jackals have underperformed or done Ok. I'm interested in another brand if their waterpoofing lasts longer or if they at least warranty it more than a year.

Thanks

Cabela's by Meindl Ultralite Boot Uninsulated Gortex
Here you go, you're welcome. Super comfy and light weight. I've been wearing mine 5 years, they are beat up and need to be replaced, but they are still waterproof so I'll go another season with them. When I say beat up I mean scuffed up from shale and rough terrain, but they have not fallen apart like most boots. Construction is A+. I treat the leather with snowseal type protectant 2x per season usually at the end of summer and beginning of spring. Can't beat the Cabela's lifetime warranty if you're not happy, but I love these boots.

I'm with you wahoo. My Daners were water proof for about 2 minutes. Never were they water proof and I have two different pairs neither one was ever water proof. But they do fit nice and are wearing pretty well. Both are not insulated. I had a pair of Rockys years ago and they were water proof for like 10 years and very comfy, guess I'll have to get another pair of them.

I have liked Danner fit for decades. Their lasts make them to just fit me. The Gore Tex liners, USA and Chinese made, seem to leak at about 2 years max. I started using Nikwax about once a month on the USA pair. It makes them noticeably nice looking.
My Meindl's have not leaked a drop in years. In fact they still have the tags on them. It may be because the have rarely touched ground or been worn. They do look nice on the footrests of my wheelchair.

I've had those Meindl boots recommended before. People to make a strong recommendation for them. My only hesitation is the height of them, a taller boot than I like especially for summer wear. But maybe an acceptable trade off if they stay waterproof.

Love the Muck boots. Got a pair for the warmer weather and a pair for winter. Been through tons of boots until I've found these. Will never go back now. Nice and light, waterproof and the winter ones are warm.

Terrain matters... If you hunt relatively flat farm type pastures and wood lots your boot selection might be different than if you are climbing steep rocky rough country. Choose your footwear with that in mind.

I have never worn Meindl's lightweight boots but I have two pairs if their Perfect Hikers and they are by far the best boots I have ever worn. The first pair got worn 6 days a week from October until March working construction, for 5 years. I bought a new pair and then found a place in Colorado to resole my old pair and they look like they will last another 5 years.

Redback boots are as light and comfortable as tennis shoes. They last and last as long as you don't kick things with them damaging the sole

Originally Posted By: GCTerrain matters... If you hunt relatively flat farm type pastures and wood lots your boot selection might be different than if you are climbing steep rocky rough country. Choose your footwear with that in mind.

Good point! The Mucks would not be good for very rough terrain. They aren't really a hiking boot per say. I hunt mostly flat terrain so for me they work good.

I have and like Meindl and Lowa. I've threatening to try the US-made Danners, but the European shoes have treated me well enough for now. Maybe when they wear out...

Back