Best Caliber for Yote and Hogs

cmabbott04

Hey guys, wondering what the best caliber for hammering both coyotes and hogs (if possible) would be? I dont want to destroy the coyote and put down hogs with ease. I do reload so using 2 separate bullet weights is no big deal. Purpose of this is to put my thermal on a rifle and just switch bullet weight/scope profile without having to ever take my scope off again and carry one gun around for night hunting. Also looking at bolt action, not just semi auto.

I was thinking that 6.5 Creedmoor would be my best bet, but I am interested to hear what others think!

Thanks all

Or maybe a 26 nosler
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Winny FanWe might as well get it out of the way. 17HMR.

Haha! I beg to differ.......... .22 Short

I have been hunting semi auto (with a scar) hogs for quite a while. Just want something different.

Any ideas what bullet you would use with the 6.5?

There is no best. Once you cross adequate all calibers are identical. What is adequate depends on your specific circumstances.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyThere is no best. Once you cross adequate all calibers are identical. What is adequate depends on your specific circumstances.

And, in my mind, the specific circumstance/s is a ever changing variable which helps me justify why I'll take one of everything. It's not greed I tell you but rather my specific circumstance is always evolving.
thumbup.gif

My biggest fear is I'll get so senile in my old age that some day I'll forget one that I already have and start having doubles of everything.
scared.gif

The simple answer to your question is 243. You said that you already have one and was just looking for an excuse to get something different. You don't need an excuse. Just because you want one is good enough! LOL.you could go with the 6.5 Creedmoor but my fear is that it would be a little on the heavy side for coyotes, if saving pelts. A 243 can be as well but is extremely minimized with bullet selection and shot placement. A 22-250 would fit the bill nicely as long as you stuck to head shots on the hogs.

.243 is your answer, but since you want a new gun, 6.5 Creedmoor isn't a terrible choice. You asked about a bullet for hogs, well the 120gr Hornady monolithic GMX is a good one and won't be awedul for coyotes either. Forget about a Varmint bullet such as the 85gr Sierra HP or 95 gr Vmax if you are planning on saving pelts. Just go with a solid hunting bullet in a fairly light weight that will punch a small hole in and a quarter to half-dollar size out. The GMX will do that. Another great caliber for hogs is 6.5 Grendel. Same bullet choice but not as much speed and they come in Ar and bolt platforms. Finally, go classic with a .257 Roberts. Loaded up with 90gr GMX they will drop a hog and coyote just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmabbott04

I was thinking that 6.5 Creedmoor would be my best bet,

Yes...there's literally nothing the 6.5 Cred can't do.

Matter of fact...I've heard that the military is thinking about adopting it. They theorize that ISIS will disband when they hear the news.

I love the Creed, but don't put down the 243 either.

The 243 with a 55g Nosler or 60g Sierra is easy on hides, then switch out to a 100g Hornady for hogs and deer, the 95g partition is wicked on the largest hogs and deer, I killed cow elk with them.

Recoil is much more with the Creed, bullets are more expensive, but you are down to splitting hairs at this point.

The 6.5 Creed BLOWS UP coyotes real good if that is what you want.

.243, 25-06, 6.5 CM, 260 ... I went with the .243, but only because I do not roll my own and at the time I lived in commifornia where they banned internet ammo sales.

The other rounds have a little more smack for medium game. The .243 would be better if it is a faster twist so that you can shoot the 85 gr federal trophy copper which is the nosler etip as I recall or other long bullets.

Last edited:
Back