Thinking about a Bolt action 6.5 Grendel.

Redrock

What's y'all stake on a bolt action 6.5 Grendel. Shorter barrel. Light setup. I need a good medium cartridge with low recoil with good barrel life. Coyotes out to 600 and ringing steel out to 1000 yards. All my long range stuff is heavier setups all my low recoil stuff does not have the range.

I've ran fast twist.243 and 243ai and and fast 22-250s in for this in the past. But they are barrel burners. I've thought about 6.5 creedmoor the savage lightweight hunter but the ones I've shot in lighter setups had a bit of recoil. About like a .308 I wanna be able to shoot and watch impact. Something my kids could hunt with as well. What could I expect from a custom 6.5 Grendel. I can get a defiance hunter action at my local shop.

If you want a grendel get a grendel. Personally I won't ever own one. I just think there are better cartridges for what I want. As far as the other calibers mentioned being barrel burners. Its easier to load powder down to extend barrel life than to buy another gun. I have a 243 that I push hard and expect the barrel to burn out early. I'd rather run it hard and buy another barrel than buy another gun that doesn't have the same ballistics.

In short, imo buying new hotrod barrels is more fun and cheaper than buying new guns.

A Howa Mini action in the Grendel might be pretty neat. I'd be hard pressed to tell myself I'd want one, but after building another Grendel in an AR of late, with the EXACT plans you described (coyotes to 600 and steel to 1000), I could see the motivation for a bolt gun for the same purpose.

Won't lie, tis' quite nice throwing but only 28grns and reaching 1,000yrds, without melting my barrel off of the end of my rifle or pitching a teeny bullet which gets punted off course by the slightest flap of a butterfly wing.

I think a Grendel in a bolt rifle would be pretty cool. I'd rather have it in a bolt gun than an AR. Not much of a fan of AR rifles.

Last edited:
I think if you neck it down to 6mm you'll be onto something. Is there a setup that allows feeding that case from the Deviant?

How many rounds did you get from your fast 22-250?

I started out with a sabre defense 6.5 Grendel heavy target model like 11 years ago and really enjoyed this cartridge a lot and a friend bought at cz in 7.62 x 39 and had it rebarrreled in 6.5 Grendel from Lothar Walther and it's a tack driver.so I've always wanted one thought about a howa but then cz came out with there's I grabbed it and it's shoots great but I haven't got to got past 350 yards yet but my sabre been to 800 and it makes it look easy my friends bolt gun shoots 800 with out a problem too so get one there fun

I would love to get one of the cz 527 in 6.5 Grendel. As soon as I can find one for sale I am getting it. I love the 527 and the Grendel Is a great low recoil round. I think it will fill your needs perfectly.

The 6.5 Grendel is a great cartridge for a bolt gun. My brother-in-law and my cousin both have bolt guns and AR's in the 6.5. Of course, the bolt guns are more accurate than the AR's.

Back