Questions for the Legal Beagles

pyscodog

Long story short I hope. My son's best friend had his Chevy truck stolen. It was recovered and impounded and the police won't turn it back to him. They say they want to investigate if it was used in more robberies. Now...it is racking up a bunch of impound fees. The truck has been impounded about two months now. Who pays the impound fees if and when the cut it loose?

I hope your friends son has full coverage insurance, if so they will cover it if not then it's on him. At least that's how it works in Utah. Impound fees here run about 40$ per day.

Not the way it would go around here unless the owner of the truck was suspected or charged in the robberies. If the owner was cleared of involvement the truck would be released to him asap with no fee or cost applied to him.

Ummm....if it is impounded pursuant to a seizure and investigation it should be held with no fee to you. Call your local state legislators and news stations if the police are trying to hold the truck and charge you for it. There was a big stink in Oklahoma last year about police improperly seizing property for their own profits. Holding the truck for ransom until you can't pay impound fees is just another way to rob you.

The owner of the truck has no charges. It was stolen from him. I don't really know what all is going on other than what my son is telling me. Sure seems like a great big mess to me though. I'm sure there is a loan company lien on it too. I betting it gets nasty before its over with.

Originally Posted By: HuntinjimUmmm....if it is impounded pursuant to a seizure and investigation it should be held with no fee to you. Call your local state legislators and news stations if the police are trying to hold the truck and charge you for it. There was a big stink in Oklahoma last year about police improperly seizing property for their own profits. Holding the truck for ransom until you can't pay impound fees is just another way to rob you.
This!!!

In a case I was involved in the District Attorney was contacted and the vehicle released within one day.

Talk to someone other than the POLICE!! In this case it was County Mounty.

Good grief, with more stories like this no wonder so many people don't like the Police. People with guns stealing/taking your money. If you or I did that there would be another name for it.

Might have to get a lawyer involved. If he isn't a suspect in those "other" robberies why would there be any impound fees? If they are trying for a civil forfeiture most of those don't want to explain that to a judge.

unless the "other robberies" happened within the time the vehicle was stolen, it would stand to reason they are holding it up just to run up the tab. otherwise give the man his vehicle back.

at this point with 2 months on the clock - its like getting robbed twice... once by the perp and once by the cops.

as mentioned i'd get a lawyer involved and have them send a letter of intent to sue for damages unless the vehicle is released free and clear to the owner ASAP.

had to do something similar to get a licence to purchase my first handgun here. city had a 10 day shal-issue law and the officer in charge was holding up my paperwork over an incident 13 years earlier because they couldn't get the charges against me at the time to stick. i have a clean criminal record and got my CPL a few months later (so i never had to deal with that buttmonkey again). had to issue the threat to sue to get my paperwork released. i hired the lawyer Monday morning... 10am Wednesday i got a call from the lawyer saying my paperwork was ready to be picked up.

good luck with everything - hopefully he gets his truck back, and its not destroyed to boot

could also contact the insurance and say it was stolen, and still hasn't been returned, it's been over a month and I want to file the claim to be paid for the car.

See if the insurance company doesn't put pressure on all involved to release it.

In the long run if they try and charge for storage, ask them to put it in writing that they are refusing to release the vehicle and on who's orders.

File a claim with small claims, and get the judge to void it all, or make the city pay for the impound if they are the ones that want it held, and should pay a reasonable fee for the possession to the owner too. He should be compensated.

Back