.17 Hornet coming my way

Well another successful day at the range, guys.

Even though I have not cleaned my barrel yet other than a few pull throughs with a bore snake (waiting on a bore guide) all loads shot superb. With the 20 grain bullets and 12.2 grains of AA 1680 I averaged around 3750 fps. With 12.7 grains of CFE BlK I averaged over 3850 FPS with some speeds nudging 3900 FPS. This really surprised me it's about 200 FPS more than what Hodgdon says that I should get with that powder charge and a 24" barrel. Surprised in a Good Way to be sure. Easy bolt lift and no pressure signs.

While the 20 grain Berger HP (no longer made) and the 20 grain Nosler HP both shot well under an half inch, the 20 grain Vmax shot clusters no matter what the powder or primer. I shot a 7 shot and a 10 shot group that you could cover with a penny. Not a dime but close enough. I was using a 14X scope and think that I might have shrunk that bit more had I had 20X on it but even then, would not be much I dont think.

I was out there with couple of other shooters today and shot a few of of my other guns too (as always) but the star today, as I hoped, was the .17 Hornady Hornet. I will try a couple more loads in the next week or so I imagine (Ackleyman loved H110 in his Ackley Hornet) but really, I am so happy with how CFE BLK and 1680 shot that I could stop there and be mighty satisfied.

Everyone likes it when a plan comes together as you hoped. This one is even better. I can hardly wait for squirrel season next year.

RD, did you by chance send any factory loaded 20gr Vmax across the chronograph while you were there? I'm curious what the factory stuff shoots in your gun with the full 24in pipe.

Originally Posted By: B23RD, did you by chance send any factory loaded 20gr Vmax across the chronograph while you were there? I'm curious what the factory stuff shoots in your gun with the full 24in pipe.

Yes I sure did. They were around 3770 FPS for a three shot average. Box says they there were supposed to be 3750. Pretty close, eh?

My CZ American chrony's them @ 3695/3725fps but they shoot like crap in mine, I may have got a bad lot or what ever but they stunk...

One good thing though it shoots the 25gr berger fantastic and i just got my Spectre II last week and it shoots the same POI as my Sico Sparrow
wink.gif

Rusty, you stuck your can on yet?

Originally Posted By: reddog964

Rusty, you stuck your can on yet?

No I have not. I am pondering it though. As quiet as it is (for a centerfire) I was just wondering how much more quiet it would be with my HTG Aris suppressor. This thing shoots so good right now that I am, silly me perhaps, worried that putting my can on it will upset the harmonics and open up my groups.

Do I leave it well enough alone or make a plan for the can?

Originally Posted By: Rustydust
Do I leave it well enough alone or make a plan for the can?

You're just messing with us right, this isn't a real question is it?!

Well duh, of course you have the barrel threaded and put a can on it!!!

No self respecting suppressor owner would ever, NOT, have a barrel threaded, that's capable of being threaded and shot suppressed.

Should I have it threaded or not, yeah, good one RD, I almost fell for it. You're such a jokester.
lol.gif

OK OK OK OK OK OK OK oh-KAY! Sheeeeeese!

Fine. I will call my gunsmith and see when I can bring it in for threading. Fine.

I'm going to be broke because of you guys and all this .17 Hornet stuff you got me into!

Sounds like a productive day at the range - right on! Never would have guessed the CFE BLK would outshine the 1680 based on the reports, but the fact that it did and the 1680 still shot well is great. I can already see the squirrel tosses to come
thumbup1.gif

Well Matthew- CFE BLK did not outshine 1680 in the accuracy dept as it was an even match a far as I could tell. But it was 100 FPS faster.

I still got more testing to do but like I said, If either of those two powders were all I had for loading the .17 Hornet I would not be bummed about that.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23RD, did you by chance send any factory loaded 20gr Vmax across the chronograph while you were there? I'm curious what the factory stuff shoots in your gun with the full 24in pipe.

Yes I sure did. They were around 3770 FPS for a three shot average. Box says they there were supposed to be 3750. Pretty close, eh?

Sooooo, you either need a new prescription for your spectacles or you've found a better ammo manufacturer than I have because my factory Hornady SF ammo only says 3650 on the box for the 20 grainers. lol

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23RD, did you by chance send any factory loaded 20gr Vmax across the chronograph while you were there? I'm curious what the factory stuff shoots in your gun with the full 24in pipe.

Sooooo, you either need a new prescription for your spectacles or you've found a better ammo manufacturer than I have because my factory Hornady SF ammo only says 3650 on the box for the 20 grainers. lol

Doh! No, I need a proofreader! I meant to put 3670- not 3770.

Well, ya know, I wasn't really sure if it was your sight failing you or senility setting in but maybe it's time for a new prescription for the old spectacles. If it'll help you out any, I've got a couple old Coke bottles in the garage I could cut the bottoms off and send to you if you need them. I've heard that when a guy gets to be your age pretty much everything starts failing.
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: B23I've heard that when a guy gets to be your age pretty much everything starts failing.
scared.gif

Oh for sure. As everyone around me knows my short term memory is shot. I have to ask my wife where everything is now. Even if I am holding it in my hand. Tsk.

One thing that I will never understand is just how did I managed to get so far over the hill without ever making it to the top.

I've gotta quite looking/reading this thread, I think it's making me go through some kind of withdrawals or something because I'm looking for another 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet and I've already got one.

This is going to be a difficult one to try and explain explain to the warden. I'll just tell her she's having eye issues and she's seeing double.
thumbup.gif

Does anyone know if there's a support group for CZ addiction???
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: B23
Does anyone know if there's a support group for CZ addiction???
scared.gif

Sorry, Bryan. So very sorry. There simply is no cure. None. You are toast as toast can be. Truly, I am so very sorry to be the one to inform you of this.

BUT there is hope! Getting rid of all your existing CZ's will at least help a bit. Rather like quitting smoking after being diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.

Being a friend, I will do what I can. I will send you a PM with shipping arrangements to my nearest gun shop so that you can rid yourself of this malady you are so deeply affected with. I will do this to help you and not for my personal gain. Trust me.

And you have my personal guarantee that this will help. And (gee, I am such a swell guy!) if you have any like issues with any of your other firearms I will be more than willing to accept those from you as well. And best of all, I expect no payment from you in any way. Just knowing that I am benefiting my fellow man in some way is all that I ask.

Oh, and be sure and pack the dies and ammo/brass that you have too. You will not be needing it after all. Same as the scopes. May as well leave them in place too. You dont want glass laying around tempting you now do you?
wink.gif

Mmmhmmm, ya I'll get right on that, NOT!!!

Ya know, with friends like you all, he11, I couldn't afford enemies.
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: reddog964Russ, what kind of OAL are you loading the 20gr Vmaxs?

Man. I was so comfortable too. Make me get up an go out in the garage so that I can measure a couple of them. Fine.

1.702" for an average of 5 of them. An interesting note is that they just fit in an MTM Case Guard box for .357 Mag ammo. When the lid snaps shut it is just touching the point of the bullet. How about that? I dont have to buy any ammo boxes now. Now I just need to fill a few of them up.

Back