MOAR reticle low light performance

ToddNE

thinking about getting a nightforce SHV 3-10x42 for my 6.5 grendel to use as a calling rifle and punch paper to 500 yards. I like the reticle but worried about being able to see it in low light anybody have any insight? Or is there another scope i should be looking at?

I don't think you will be happy trying to punch paper at 500 with a 10 power. But I don't shoot that far so I not sure. I would go to a 50 or 56 if you want to shoot in low light. I am using Trijicon 2.5x10x56 its great in low light.

The 3-10 isnt offered with illumination. If you want illumination you will have to get the 4-14 model. Personally I dont think you need illumination UNLESS you are hunting at night with a light. The SHVs allow you to stay out pretty late/early morning just by there light transmission abilities.
The reticle in the 3-10 appears to be smaller than the reticle in the 4-14, Ive had both in hand side by side. If you are planning to punch a good bit of paper I suggest you get the 4-14. The extra power just makes it a little easier.

Back