Is Nevada coyote central

17freak

Just returned from an extended trip out west. States traveled were LA, TX, NM, CO, UT, NV, CA. Based on road kills and live sightings NV wins by a landslide. On the drive from Truckee, CA to Salt Lake city I counted 22 dead coyotes and 3 live ones. No other state came close. So I'm wondering if NV predator hunters think their state is coyote central.

A GREAT state to hunt. So vast, so open, so public. You don't even need a license to kill coyotes, you don't need to practice your door knocking scripts, you can use a suppressor, a semi-automatic, keep a magazine or clip loaded (not in chamber). It's one state that used common sense when creating rules (CA intruders will screw that up soon, that's what they do). However, not a lot going on in Nevada. Very beautiful but in a surface of the moon type of way.

Coming back from NM last spring we pretty much took a lot of back roads after leaving Salt Lake city and we had the same observations, I even believe I posted them here. I'm really looking forward to the convention in Elko, I'll be there the whole week.

Originally Posted By: reddog964wHAT ARE YOU GUYS sMOKING? There ain't no Coyotes in Nevada.... ;(
thumbup1.gif

Living in LA I can go a whole year and not see 22 road kill coyotes so we were blown away by what we saw on our drive through NV in the one day. Based on their answers I guess the respondents from NV would prefer that out of state folks not visit and uncover this gem. Can't say that I blame them.

Its funny. Everyone from Cali and Utah want to come here and I know two guys that stack fur and they both hunt Cali. Grass is always greener on the other side I guess.
When I hunted LA several years back, I thought the hunting was pretty darn good. Granted I was up around Shreveport and not down in the bayou.

Originally Posted By: 17freakLiving in LA I can go a whole year and not see 22 road kill coyotes so we were blown away by what we saw on our drive through NV in the one day. Based on their answers I guess the respondents from NV would prefer that out of state folks not visit and uncover this gem. Can't say that I blame them.

LOL... Just teasing with ya
wink.gif
there are lots of coyotes around but depending on where you hunt they are hammered on pretty hard most of the year. I don't live in NV but I do have a few good friends there that have some pretty big ranches and are always hounding me to come help thin them out.

CA may have more but it's difficult to access all the private property, and the limited public land gets hunted hard.

In NV you can pretty much just pull over at any exit, drive down a dirt road a but, and call in coyotes. Rabbit hunting too.

Most of the California drivers will slam on the brakes and roll their car to avoid hitting a coyote. Since most of the Nevada drivers speed up when they see a coyote in the road counting road kills is not a accurate way of comparing coyote populations between the two states.
unsure.gif

Where I hunt in California it can be great coyote hunting for a year or two and then be terrible for a year or two, it all depends on how much rainfall we get from December through March. Mother Nature controls the coyote population around here way more than coyote hunters do.

In Nevada for every one Coyote hunter you know there are 50 others you don't know.

At the end of the day every pissed off Chukar hunter becomes a Coyote hunter.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob Mother Nature controls the coyote population around here way more than coyote hunters do.

It's that way everywhere...

Back