** HOT VEHICLES **

badtothebone

Hey gang!

One of our members asked me if leaving calls in a vehicle all the time in hot areas (Arizona, for example) will damage an open reed call.

Here in Ohio, I've had the same 'practice' call in the cup holder of my truck for over 6 years, through all our summers and winters, with no problems at all. But in Ohio we don't often get into the 90's for long periods of times, and I don't recall ever seeing anything in the 100's.

How about you 'hot weather hunters'? Ever melt or warp a call by leaving it in a hot vehicle?

Regards, and thank you for any info,

Rudy

I've never noticed much if any difference here in Vegas(hellcentral). Doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Guess it depends on the reed material and thickness.

I have a baby bomb in the pouch of the door in my truck for about 3 months and it has not bothered it at all. Temps sitting on an asphalt parking lot get 105+

Thanks guys,

I've never heard of a problem with anyone's tone boards melting. I could see a problem if a call was made with wood was not quite dry with cracking but a solid call should be no problem

YES, it distorts them, they change slightly and the tone boards crack. It's fine if it's short term, but over a month or so, and they don't work right and get brittle. from the summer heat. Only applies for a few months. (but they just don't sound or work right, they get stiff and brittle)

Even closed reed metal calls fall apart, and if I don't take the batteries out of everything they get corroded during the summer in the garage too.

I leave calls in my truck all the time with little ill effect, though it's usually in a covered barn and doesn't reach the "hotter than Hades" temps that one would exposed to the blaring desert sun. I'd estimate that some get left for weeks or months.

I've kept a Gonhuntin' closed reed springbok horn call in my truck for at least ten years and it still calls in a coyote or two nearly every year.

100 is hot, but doens't feel as bad as 105, and that isnt' even in the same category as 110. Its just different.

115 is miserable, and 120.. That makes you pray for 105.

It seems like every 5 degrees after 105 is just not the same as the previous 5 degrees.

If you have ever had to reach under a heat lamp and felt the cooking burn of those lamps.. That is 110 to 115. (for context)

120, is time to act like it's -20 out and just go from building to building and be thankful for remote car start.

Pray your battery doesn't fail, because it's a common issues with that when it was just past 120. Most car batteries i have ever had are returned for being dead before the warranty ever runs out. (doesn't matter which brand) and i check the water levels quarterly and am always surprised at how much the levels drop.

I left a tweety in my truck for a while and it got hot enough to ruin the reeds. I don't recall the exact temp but I'm in central MO

Ive seen em melt/distort depending on material, heat, time etc. Mylar reeds (Tweety etc) can/will warp possibly melt/curl up.

I have a buddy that leaves his calls on the dash, has for years here in Kalifornia and has had good luck.

I dont leave anything on my dash...simply because its cluttery and bugs the [beeep] out of me.
Mark

edit...has nothing to do with this topic but you know what really bugs me? ...going down bumpy dirt roads and having my keys constantly banging against the steering column. I have resorted to having my "hunting" set of keys, tiny key ring with like 2 keys on it.

Does this count?
lol.gif

Ic52fdR.jpg

Originally Posted By: LONEHOWL
edit...has nothing to do with this topic but you know what really bugs me? ...going down bumpy dirt roads and having my keys constantly banging against the steering column. I have resorted to having my "hunting" set of keys, tiny key ring with like 2 keys on it.

Have you considered sticking a piece of foam to the steering column to stop that??

I used spray glue, and 1/2" soft foam that was spray painted black. (i'm the same way as you) but, now it's not an issue i have a keyless truck now. The keys stay in my pocket. It came as part of the features since i wanted to upgrade to remote car start. It's really nice here in AZ, since the AC comes on where it was left. Before i get to the truck, it's all cooled off.

Quote:going down bumpy dirt roads and having my keys constantly banging against the steering column.
Quote:
I used spray glue, and 1/2" soft foam that was spray painted black. (i'm the same way as you)

You guys do entirely too much riding and not enough shooting!
wink.gif
lol.gif
Seriously, you can hear keys rattling in an ignition? I'm impressed.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEDoes this count?
lol.gif

Only if that's your coyote hunting vehicle.
grin.gif

Don't give me any ideas...Stand to stand in seconds flat might have to work out a few ground clearance issues. Rick

Originally Posted By: LONEHOWLMaybe Ill just hot wire it?

lol.gif

I'm just jealous, can't hear the keys for all them crickets I hear continuously. Wish I could hear keys.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Quote:Does this count? lol.

Grizz, my dad had one just like that. 2008 Z06 6sp manual. Flat flies!!!! Sold it to get his old coupe. Didn't have room for both and the 70 Camaro

Back