Boyds gunstock terrible service

Cabby

Put in an order and their website glitched. Logged in again and item still in cart, checked order status and it showed nothing so I  submitted again on 8_15-17 @ 10:00 pm eastern time. Low and behold double order.  I started calling at 10:00 am eastern time on 8-16-17  to cancel one, left a voicemail and no response.  Emailed and got ignorant response that "custom orders" can't be cancelled.  I seriously doubt that at the time the piece of wood was even machined yet and would have been as simple as deleting it out of their system.   All i requested was to cancel 1 order.   
Horrible customer service!  Just horrible!

Not saying their product is bad, just saying customer service is crap!

Very sorry to hear that this has happened to you...I have personally had very good luck with Boyd's, both product wise as well as service. In fact, I have to say that I am surprised to hear this.
There is one thing you can do...call and report this to your credit card company. Tell them you want one of the charges taken off. Boyd's or anyone else for that matter is not entitled to double charge you because their website has a mess up. If companies could do this and get away with it because "it's their policy" then every website out there would be messing up.

Tried that with my credit card company. They say i have to wait until they are delivered and refuse one. Hopefully I'm home at the time. I presume I'm most likely going to end up with 2 youth stocks for my Ruger American but I hope not.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. I've always had good luck with them. I usually call early in the morning and catch them while they are still having their coffee. I prefer talking to them personally than e-mailing an order. If its wrong then its my fault.

I've never had an issue with Boyds. I've always been able to get through to someone every time I've called. The lady I spoke with was very helpful and informative. The product shipped in the time frame they said it would. Very good quality!

Me, too. I have had good luck with Boyds. I did talk to a person, to make the last order, just to be sure about some details.

Probably your first mistake was after the first order didn't appear to go through, was to do it again! I had a similar experience with an issue on Joe Bob's website, placing an order. It was struggling to accept my payment. I called, discussed the issue, they checked, and an order had not been placed, so I did try again, using a different browser. It worked, the second time, and with a different browser. And I have never had that issue again, using the browser that had the issue originally. Weirdness happens on the web, and it may not be the fault of the website. Due to some weird packet miss-routing, your internet packet, that completed the order went to somewhere like Tibet, and it took the internet packet recovery cops time to find it, and get it sent to Mitchell SD. In the mean time, YOU hit buy again...

So try to call Boyds, talk to a real person, and see if you don't get different results, that are more satisfactory to you.

Squeeze

The only issue I have ever had with Boyd's was when they were working on their facility. I was told a ship date and it shipped late of the date I was told. Boyd's did ship the stock for free and knocked a few bucks off the price. Boyd's told me three weeks on the last stock I ordered and I received it in about a week. I have no complaints and I'm thinking on ordering another stock real soon. But when I do, I'll just call them like I always do.

You don't have to be home to refuse a shipment. Just rts and drop it back with the shipping company unopened. Most cc companies will reverse charges on unordered items, you'll end up with 2, 1 you actually payfor.

Just to update... got no voice response yesterday after leaving 2 voicemails. Did another email request hoping for someone different to respond but of course got the same "non customer service rep" eith same or worse results. Was super irritated so I filed a complaint with the BBB yesterday evening and surprise, got a call today that theu would be more than happy to cancel one order.

By the way I fully expect the one that comes to look like it was drug behind the truck not on the truck. Lol. I know I'm only one guy buying one stock but it should not have taken this much effort to cancel one. I will say I may give them another chance after finally rectifying the problem.

In all honesty this doesn't sound right. The people I have talked to over at Boyds have been polite, informative, patient and courteous.

Originally Posted By: CabbyBy the way I fully expect the one that comes to look like it was drug behind the truck not on the truck. Lol. I know I'm only one guy buying one stock but it should not have taken this much effort to cancel one. I will say I may give them another chance after finally rectifying the problem.

Not everyone jumps because you say frog. Boyd's has returned my calls and e-mails but sometimes it took them a couple of days to do it.I can't say for sure but I have a feeling there aren't that many people that work the office to answer every call or e-mail the minute its sent. If your that unhappy with Boyd's, maybe you should cancel your order and go over to Stocky's and pay more for basically the same stock. You want to talk bad service, go to sharpshooter supply and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: CabbyBy the way I fully expect the one that comes to look like it was drug behind the truck not on the truck. Lol. I know I'm only one guy buying one stock but it should not have taken this much effort to cancel one. I will say I may give them another chance after finally rectifying the problem.

Not everyone jumps because you say frog. Boyd's has returned my calls and e-mails but sometimes it took them a couple of days to do it.I can't say for sure but I have a feeling there aren't that many people that work the office to answer every call or e-mail the minute its sent. If your that unhappy with Boyd's, maybe you should cancel your order and go over to Stocky's and pay more for basically the same stock. You want to talk bad service, go to sharpshooter supply and see what happens.

I have had great service from Boyd's.

[beeep], WOW!

I was less than impressed by Boyd's on my only order. The stock was late getting to me. Then it didn't quite match up right with the action screws. I called and sent it back. They waited a few weeks then returned me the same stock that I had before. I had enough. Used my Dremel to solve my Boyd's problem. No company is perfect, I'm sure, but that experience was pretty disappointing.

Thanks for your input but in my opinion if a company wants me to spend my money with them they better "jump" when I as a "customer" have a problem. It would have been a non issue if their non customer service agent wouldn't have sent an email that basically said sorry about your bad luck you're getting both of them. Like I say they have taken care of it to my satisfaction I suppose. I may give them another chance or I may check out the other vendors you suggested. Thanks!

Last edited:
If its any consolation, Cabby, in truth, you're far from the only person who has complained on the internet about Boyd's less than stellar customer service. I've never bought from them so I have no idea myself but its not an unusual thing to see someone less than happy with Boyd's treatment.

One thing you need to learn here to keep the forum rock stars happy with you is that if you mention something they don't like for whatever reason they'll pounce. Case in point - Please don't even hint at anything bad about a Savage. That really raises the hackles on some necks.

They jerked me around for months. Eventually I posted a review like this one and sent them the link. What do you know, they read the emails, but they do not respond. After I sent the link to the bad review I got a phone call within the hour and they resolved it. I have inlcluded the email of the person who resolved the issue, and has the power to do so. The person you get on the phone or email is just reading the script...Jill got things done, email her directly. Good luck.

Jill Duncan [:JillD@boydsgunstocks.com]

Over a half dozen stocks from Boyd's with no problems. Jill
called me a few years ago wondering if she had a double order
mix up since two identical (custom) stocks were in her office
ready to be shipped to me. I was not charged, nor was the extra
stock shipped.

Agreed with comment about Sharp Shooter Supply. I've had a
trigger on order since the end of Jan '17 -- still waiting.
After a couple of very friendly inquiries, their email system
rejected my messages. Sent another from another email service
and it went through. Haven't heard from them since May.

Back