Powder Burn Rates in 223

Catdog1

Historically ive shot 22" barreled guns or longer in 223 bolt actions. Ive always used H4895 and Varget for 55-60gr. bullets.

Latelty ive noticed several people, including myself, having great success using Benchmark powder with 55-65gr. bullets in my AR-15 with 16" barrels. Benchmark is a powder i normally wouldnt even consider with these heavier bullets in the 223. Im wondering if Benchmark's burn rate is better suited for the shorter barrels. Or have i just been overlooking how great this powder is in the 223 regardless of barrel length.

Last edited:
I tried benchmark several years ago in bolt guns and didn't like it but then I tried it this past year in my 18" barreled ar's and got good velocity and accuracy with 50-55 gr bullets but haven't tried it with anything heavier.

I have 2 heavy barrel .223s that are 26" and 1 sporter 22" .223. I use Benchmark and 53gr Vmax in all three (bolt rifles) with really great success.
I think its a great powder. Try it in your AR and see what it does.

I like Benchmark. Ive used a good bit of it in 16" and 18" barrels with 50-65gr bullets. Its hard to beat velocity wise with the light weights, its right there with CFE223.

I've used Benchmark in my 24" with 55s up to 80s. Was never really happy with it and made the switch to TAC. But, every gun is different.

Originally Posted By: steve garrett8208 is the best 223 powder I have used

I've tried benchmark several times and have never been super happy with it. I use 8208 more than any other powder and couldn't be happier with it!!!

I have been a huge fan of 8208, its worked great in almost everything I'd tried to load with it. My grendel loves it, two different .223 bolts have loved it, one 5.56 AR shot it well enough (I thought), .204 likes it ok. The last two 5.56 AR's I built (and three total actually) all shoot tighter with a Benchmark load and 50 grain Vmax than anything I have been able to brew up with 8208 thus far...

for me 8208 is simply runs 50's and 55's pretty much as fast as anything I have tried. I do have some TAC now that I going to try and see if I can outrun my 8208 load.

My favorite is AA2230 which is just ahead of 8208 on the burn rate chart. I wish I had a chrono to check velocity but I've always been happy with the accuracy.
kwg

Back