Vortex turrets getting bumped out of zero😞

jk2paintworx

I have a Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST FFP That I use for coyote hunting and love the optic. BUT! I quite often get bumped out of zero throughout my hunts. Not sure how but Probably while its slung across my back. We tend to be somewhat active with our rifles. The turrets are pretty tall and don't lock down so it doesn't take much to move em. After the weekend of hunting I noticed both windage and elevation were off several clicks. I don't dial for elevation when shooting so I am ok with giving up quick access to the turret and looking for some type of cap to protect it from turning accidentally.

I don't know what to tell you other then to msoe sure after zeroing your rifle rezerp the turrets, then when u sit down at your stand just make a quick view to be sure they are at zero. Maybe sell it for something like the new leupold vx5hd with the locking turrets. I hunt coyotes with a pst too and do what I just mentioned above.

Unlocked turrets can move when carried shoulder slung, my Leupold vx2 cds will move off zero in the winter while wearing layered clothes. Like zr600 said reset when you setup. Or maybe a velcro wrap around the turrets?

The zero stop on these doesn't lock the turret from going completely to zero it will get within 5-10 clicks or so but it still can rotate up even if it had a zero stop that locked the turret from going down. The new leupold hd5 with the locking cds turrets would be a good hunting scope I think.

I am quite familiar with how the Vortex shim style zero stop functions. What it does is present a baseline reference point against which to ensure your turret(s) are where they should be...

Had the same problem with a Nikon M-223 scope with the turrets turning putting gun in and out of the case or riding on the seat of the pickup. Got rid of the scope after 5 years of fighting this problem. So far the Leupold that replaced it has not had the same problem. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Don't take a chance wrap it tight around the entire turret 2 or 3 times. Leave a little tail on the end so when you need it off it will unwrap real easily. I have same scope 4-16 it has cost me one coyote, easy solution. I wrap both turrets and the muzzle. Use good tape 33plus. It won't leave a mess. I do this with all my exposed turrets. By the end of the season my muzzle looks like a beehive.

what did you replace it with? I have a USO and a Razor HD same problem same solution only the USO is much more difficult because of the larger elevation turret.

Back