World Championship Coyote Calling Contest

Originally Posted By: reaper4I know how that is. Last year for the eastern us contest I was getting constant updates that made me sick lol

updates during a contest are horrible. Hard to stay motivated when you know your getting your tail kicked.

Originally Posted By: cmatera If you don't get what I said, I can't help you. Most that are defending this crap joined this forum in the last 3 years, and a number of them are on my ignore list. Most of the world champions left this forum a long time ago.

And Brett Farve retired 6 years ago. He was arguably the best quarterback at one time, but he isn't anymore. The same thing happens in any sport. To imply the guys today aren't better than those of yesteryear isn't accurate. It may be in your mind, but it doesn't make it so.

I don't hunt contests, and I don't like them for selfish reasons, but I'm not necessarily against them either. These guys are just regular people who made a decision to pursue coyotes. The difference between them and everyone else is dedication. It is a craft, the more ya do it, the better ya get. It isn't magic, it is a personal choice.

I'm sure we could change the rules, just like basketball and football to make it more exciting. I remember basketball with no 3 point shots, and steps whether driving to the basket or not were a penalty. So is it really the same? To the young who don't think rules apply to them so should be changed or those trying to make $$ off the sport (sponsors and organizers) probably not.

Here is all I know...if you dont enter the WCCCC...you can never win it...Garv and I have and will enter our 21st World Championship this Dec and look to make it # 5. We absolutely know that there are probably a slew of better coyote killers out there but if they dont choose or dont think they can put it togather on the day and half they give you to win it then so be it....the older I get I can tell you this. It is getting harder to do the contests I see why so many good callers have hung the contest calling up...ITS HARD...that said to get # 5 I will have to enter again so I will. IF you want to win one with me in it you better get entered, dont know how many more im good for....

Originally Posted By: cmatera I'm sure we could change the rules, just like basketball and football to make it more exciting. I remember basketball with no 3 point shots, and steps whether driving to the basket or not were a penalty. So is it really the same? To the young who don't think rules apply to them so should be changed or those trying to make $$ off the sport (sponsors and organizers) probably not.

I hear what you are saying. Although the goal is the same, it isn't the same game to a certain degree. The days of calling in coyotes with a squeaky truck door or a blade of grass are gone. Many folks will always remember the good old days as a perceived non-commercialized form of entertainment. I don't blame those who attempt to make a living shooting coyote any more than I blame the athletes who play a kids game. I am jealous for sure, but I had every opportunity they had and I made a personal decision to pursue a different path.

I think it is fair to say the most successful hunters of today would still be the best of yesteryear. Fred Bear would still be Fred Bear. I highly doubt he would have done anything different other than use technology to increase his success both in and out of the field. The only difference being social media rather than Outdoor Life or Fur-Fish-Game. It was commercialized then, just not to the degree it is now.

Last edited:
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
The venue is set, central UT the WCCCC will go down DEC 1,2nd....go to the WCCCC website and get the membership app filled out and come compete against the best coyote callers..

Going to be tough to compete in Central Utah with the Utah boys that have that country in their back yard.......would be the same if you went to Tx and tried to compete with the Tx boys, when you are from Nebraska or ND. You are in their backyard....you're in their playground.....If it dindt cost me so much to take off work for 2 weeks to go scout, and then another week for the contest, Id be there....but if i cant at least go scout ahead of time, plus take the time to drive out, hunt and drive back, there is no point in going for me....when I add up all that time off work, it cost me thousands to go to that contest. I cant justify it at that price.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerGoing to be tough to compete in Central Utah with the Utah boys that have that country in their back yard.......would be the same if you went to Tx and tried to compete with the Tx boys, when you are from Nebraska or ND. You are in their backyard....you're in their playground.....If it dindt cost me so much to take off work for 2 weeks to go scout, and then another week for the contest, Id be there....but if i cant at least go scout ahead of time, plus take the time to drive out, hunt and drive back, there is no point in going for me....when I add up all that time off work, it cost me thousands to go to that contest. I cant justify it at that price.

So true. I am not, nor do I pretend to be, a hunter of the caliber required to be competitive in any contest.

And the time required to scout and plan etc, like Cali said there's no way I can justify it with everything else that goes on in family life with 3 kids.

I'm not complaining, I'm just glad to get out a few times a year and have some fun putting a few down.

There are a bunch of great guys and callers at this contest. It's a blast to hunt against these great hunters. You have to do everything right and have some good luck to beat them. I can remember a few years ago when it was in Elko and a certain team was coming back from California(I think) and got pulled over and a speeding ticket...If I remember right without that ticket they would have won that year. As it was Jeff & Vince won that year lol. It really is a lot of fun. It's definitely faster paced and more pressure than when you are out on the weekend and can pick the nice days to hunt. Where as the tournament you have to hunt no matter what the weather does to you. It helps our wildlife as well. just my $.02

3 weeks left and still time to enter. lots of new teams this year going through the process of getting signed up. Gonna be a great shoot, dont miss it.

I was in the World contest back in '99 or '00...can't remember for sure, but it was the year that Les Johnson won in Elko. Heck of a lot of fun. I had been to the National in Rawlins for about 6 years running and so I had got to know Les pretty well and he knew that I liked to hunt Nevada so he called me several weeks before the contest to quiz me on different aspects of Nevada since he had never hunted there.

I remember that he rounded up a couple of big ranches that hadn't been hunted and he and his partner shot most of the 20 winning coyotes under 40 yards with a shotgun.

I haven't been contest calling for about 15 years but I can say it is a heck of a challenge and a lot of fun. The only thing that kind of ended up wearing on me was that poor boys like me were hunting public land and many times (probably most of the time) the winners and high placers had paid for access on private. Kind of felt like an unfair advantage so eventually I quit on it.

Last edited:
Back