6 mm Bench Rest as a mid range coyote gun ?

huntschool

Guys, and gals:

Does any one here shoot a 6mm BR on coyotes ? There was a thread way back in 2008 that went down the "flame" tubes about this round so I thought I would ask. I know the rounds record at
300 m competition but I have not found much about its performance on game as it relates to bullets and loads. There are several premium box loads out there now but again, they are tailored to the target shooters.

Info: This will be a build on a Ruger #1 for my wife as a coyote gun if you are interested.

Thanks in advance.

Slow twist and a good FB bullet in the 68-80 gr range would fit the bill nicely.

My 6 BR is not a coyote rifle, however.

I shoot a 70 gr TNT in mine and it does very well. I am using TAC for the powder and Lapua brass. I figure this load would do very well for you in a coyote platform.

Funny I was just reading up about the same thing last night. It uses a regular 6mm/.243 bullet so there would be a wide range of selection. They said the 6mm PPC edged it out slightly in the accuracy Department until 300 yards but very slightly. There is a 6mm forum on the web that has lots of interesting read on the round. Good Luck with what ever you choose.

Personally, I cant see why it wouldnt be a great cartridge for coyotes at that range. Especially with the excellent choices of varmint/predator bullets in the 6mm catergory.

Huntschool I use my 6br for coyotes and it works very well. It's a savage lrpv 26" 1/12 twist.

70g tnt and 65g vmax have worked very well, all have been drt out to 285 yrd. Which is the farthest shot l have had with this gun. This season I'm working on a load using a 58g vmax.it too shoots very well.
I use a lot of different calibers during a season and the 6br is one of my top picks. Very accurate round with a lot of different component combinations.

l hope this helps.

Hands down the best coyote bullet I have used in 6mm is the 55gr SBK. It is great on fur and drops them HARD. I've tried them all from 55 Nosler to 95gr SST and anything in between. These are the best.

Thanks all for the reply's.

This gun is down the road a bit as I need to find a suitable donor to build off of.

This round has intrigued me for some time and with my wife wanting to shoot more I thought this would be a good time to give it a go. Our shots here in Southernmost IL are usually under 300 yds and likely more like 250 at the longest. However we can drop down below where we live by about 30-45 minutes or so and get into the Mississippi and Ohio River flood plains which can offer some really long shots, not that we want to take them.

I want to build this gun in the likes of a Ruger #1B with perhaps a slightly heavier barrel and it will most likely be a Lilja.

Acronin, gord mccoo:

What do these loads look like ? I dont really care about fur condition as we seldom get quality here.

Thanks so far folks..... Keep it coming

Last edited:
Huntschool if you mean fur friendly the 70g tnt usually gives about a looney exit. The 65g vmax have not had an exit. But I have not shot any coyotes under 200yrd when using it.

Normally using it when field shooting over bait. For calling I normally take one of my 223's,or a 204.

This season going to use it more while calling,just haven't started hunting yotes yet.

Last edited:
I've called with one a bit. It shoots great but my biggest complaint is exit holes. I skin everything I shoot and I have found that at closer ranges the exit holes are more then I want to deal with. Should work great if you don't plan on skinning.

Just so everyone knows..... I have no concerns what so ever about saving fur !!!!!!!

The more destructive the impact and exit the happier I am. Shooting coyotes for the local cow guys and for our deer herd (which aint bad). Our fur almost never gets that good and prices arent worth the skinning.

Here is an example of what I am accustomed to:

Coyote%20vs%20.270_zpst5lwdisy.jpg

Thanks.... Keep it coming.

I have been using a 6Br calling rifle for 20 years. My bullet of choice is the 55g Nosler BT. For a very explosive impact try 70g BT's out of a 243. I used to hunt with a guy using that combination, NOT fur friendly.

My 6mm Rem loves the 65 gr V-Max. Great fur round. have shot as close as 70 and as far as 330 no blow ups but no runoffs either. For what its worth the current National silhouette champion in both the USA and Canada this year shoots a 6mmBR. Knocks over the 52 lb Ram at 500 Meters just fine so at your ranges you should have no issues.

I am really liking this round more and more.

I have started looking hard for a donor Ruger #1 to re-barrel. The fact that there is some, although sort of expensive, box ammo out there makes me like it even more not that I will not custom load for it.

Keep the comments coming......

I am using a 65 vmax in my Rem 700 6mmBR. I had Long rifles barrel this one up for me using a Brux 1-8 and it works great as a repeater also. I did the factory mag box conversion.

Off topic, I rate the 204 Ruger as a top choice for a coyote round. I have just about everything under the sun and have dumped coyotes with them.

I started my serious years with coyotes using the 243 Win. Had a 6mm Rem but it got stolen.

Later drifted to the 22-250, found it lacking until I started using better bullets.

I use .223 for an everyday ranch smoke pole.

I have two .25-06's and even built a 257 STW myself.

I do 22 hornet as well.

..... and I have a 6mm BR I built on a Savage, yes that one too!

The 6mm BR is by all measure a great cartridge. Feeding issues aside as the OP is going to a single shot, it certainly measures up in accuracy. Even "poor" loads with it are "minute of coyote" so the difficult project with it would be to find an inaccurate combination.

I see some draw back with trajectory and a definite need to match rifling twist with bullet weight. Slow twist barrels need to launch light for caliber bullets and the tight twist barrels needing heavier bullets.

As trajectory raises as an issue, accurate range finding becomes an issue and most coyotes are not prone to spending much time if their hides are at risk. I find the flatness of really fast bullets aerodynamic and fast at breaking up with minimal recoil to being golden to close the deal.

I don't have to sweat much with range with the .204 until I get a bit past 300.

I would say that you will greatly enjoy the BR in 6mm and the coyotes you shoot will be quite dead but if you don't own a 204 yet, do not hesitate giving one a whirl.

Three 44s

Thanks all for the thoughts and comments. I am slowly going down this road. Really looking forward to this.

Still wondering about a good load for deer and antelope.....

Back