Magic Flutes or EEETT WHEEEELL KEEEELLL

Shooting into a corn field with a road running beside/behind it? WOW!

Recon he could be 100% absolutely sure that no one could enter the impact area? That sure would not appear to be the case.

I guess once an RSO, always an RSO, but really!

It would also help, when filming a video which will in all likelihood be watched by an audience which includes many inexperienced (if not new) shooters, he should follow generally accepted basic range safety procedures and clear the weapon before proceeding downrange.

JMO, but violation of not one, but two basic safety procedures on a video to be watched by the public is, at the very least, in poor taste if not downright dangerous.

Regards,
hm

looks to me that's its private property and a private two track drive/path. I think he was 100% sure no one was going to enter the target/impact area, inless they were trespassing.

He is shooting a single shot break action rifle, since he just fired it without opening the action the weapon is 100% safe and clear. There is no issue with going down range seeing as he is the only one there and he knows he just fired it.

to the OP, excellent video as always. Keep on filming and rock on!

Originally Posted By: kyyotestalkerlooks to me that's its private property and a private two track drive/path. I think he was 100% sure no one was going to enter the target/impact area, inless they were trespassing.

He is shooting a single shot break action rifle, since he just fired it without opening the action the weapon is 100% safe and clear. There is no issue with going down range seeing as he is the only one there and he knows he just fired it.

to the OP, excellent video as always. Keep on filming and rock on!

All (probably) true, but I still think he should take into account that new shooters are watching and can pick up some bad habits. I do agree that the break open action with a fired case in it is perfectly safe under the circumstances (no one else present on the firing line), but it sure doesn't hurt to observe all safety precautions, if for no other reason than to convey such safety precautions to his audience, since the video is for public consumption.

Quote:looks to me that's its private property and a private two track drive/path. I think he was 100% sure no one was going to enter the target/impact area, inless they were trespassing.

I will take exception to this statement, as you cannot be 100% sure the impact area is clear unless you can confirm that fact visually or by "putting the bullet in the dirt" (backstop/berm). The corn field obstructs shooter's view and there is always a possibility of someone or something (livestock) entering impact zone, whether private property or not.

Just color me paranoid about safety if you wish, but you can't call that bullet back once it leaves the firearm.

Regards,
hm

SMFH... I guess this is a good reminder that some people live in a square range world and don't know what it's like outside of one.

To the OP, or whoever made the video: fun video, looks like you/he thoroughly enjoyed the little test.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorSMFH... I guess this is a good reminder that some people live in a square range world and don't know what it's like outside of one.

To the OP, or whoever made the video: fun video, looks like you/he thoroughly enjoyed the little test.

While I do not "live in a square range", I have spent nearly 20 years as RSO on rectangular ranges way down here in the sticks near the Tex/Mex border.
lol.gif

Having said that, let me state that my observations are in no way a reflection on the OP or others who have commented here, but were intended to point out what I would consider to be an unsafe act being depicted in a forum watched by, I would assume, a number of beginning shooters as well as many more experienced shooters(who can always benefit from safety reminders, can't we?).

I do understand the concept of "private property" and I'm certain the farther you get from the border, the more meaning that term has, but in S. Texas, at least, only physical barriers prevent trespassing, both two and four legged, and even then, not 100%. Maybe someone knows? Are there any rivers, drain ditches, fences or other physical barriers that would prevent access to the downrange area at this location?

If you look at THE VIDEO at the 3 minute mark, you will note that shooter is preparing to fire, into a corn field with no visible backstop. There is a two track alongside tree line which runs diagonally, disappearing behind the right hand end of the corn field. From the point where tree line disappears behind the corn field visibility is zero. Furthermore, the corn field is on the crest of a slight rise which would extend the impact area even further.

Now, if someone is familiar with the actual piece of property and tells me there is a dirt berm hidden behind the corn field, or that the area behind the tree line is a designated safe impact area, or that access to those areas are sealed, I will happily retract my opinion.

Thus my concerns and comments, that especially new shooters could be learning poor firearms safety from this video.

Regards,
hm

This fall marks my 16th year as a certified RSO... I guess I have 4 years before I forget not all bullets have to get fired at a square range with a specification backstop... I'll sure miss hunting when that day comes...

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThis fall marks my 16th year as a certified RSO... I guess I have 4 years before I forget not all bullets have to get fired at a square range with a specification backstop... I'll sure miss hunting when that day comes...

Surely, I failed to communicate my concerns in my previous posts or misunderstand your statement above. I firmly believe it is every shooter's absolute responsibility to be 100% sure of a safe impact area behind his target before firing a shot whether on a range or in the field.

You are not disputing that basic safety practice, are you?

Regards,
hm

around the entire property is a 6 foot chain link fence. one gate in and one gate out. always locked.
6 rows back in the corn there is a 7 foot dirt berm. if the corn was 2 inches shorter you could see it.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot around the entire property is a 6 foot chain link fence. one gate in and one gate out. always locked.
6 rows back in the corn there is a 7 foot dirt berm. if the corn was 2 inches shorter you could see it.

lol.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Back