ring/mounts for a Marlin 336

logstove

What rings/mounts do you have on your Marlin 336? I am used to scoping centerfire rifles and not levers. There are several bases/ring options for levers. what do you use? I have a Lauppold 1-4X20 that I will use and not sure I even like that scope but it is what I have on hand. Should I go with low or medium height rings?

Thanks for the help.

Weave bases and Low rings. I like Weaver low rings as they are about the lowest you can get but kind of a pain to mount a scope with. With a gun set up to use iron/open sight mounting the scope low will give you quick target acquisition without having to build up the comb of the stock very much. That Leupold in my opinion is about perfect for your application, I use them alot on both lever and combo guns. Once you learn to shoot that 1-4 it can be a very accurate scope out quite a ways.

Not a Leupold but in the same clas.

A leupold 1-4x20mm on a 90 yr old drilling

And you can't complain about results Weaver V-3 1-3x20mm on my 25-204

Last edited:
I just setup bases for a marlin 1895 and used warne one piece base. from marlin owners.com those are the lowest base possible to use irons if you wanted.

My Marlin 336 is a centerfire rifle... I use Talley two piece lightweight mounts. Get the extra low.

I have all Weaver bases on my Marlins, with a couple Weaver rings, a couple Leupold rings and 1 with Warne rings. All are low, with a couple scopes just an 1/8" off of the gun on the front of the scope. 3 scopes are Leupold VX-2 2-7x33, still have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on 1 30-30, that is the one that has about 1/8" clearance.

Last edited:
I love DNZ Game Reaper one-piece mounts. Best mounts I have used for the money. They look very nice on my 336 with a Burris Tac30 1-4x.

Last edited:
Back