Fur friendly .22-250 loads?!

I shoot a 220 Swift but I have been very happy with the Sierra 55 gr HPBT (#1390) going about 3850 fps. As has said before, shot placement is the key. I hit one just in front of the front shoulder right below the neck and it completely blew him out. Six inches back and it would have been just fine.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: B23
Short of using a FMJ or maybe a target bullet with a thick jacket and tiny meplat, saying 22-250 and fur friendly is almost an oxymoron, isn't it????
unsure.gif

Nope, I've been using a 250 my whole life, and my father as well, (between us I feel safe saying thousands of coyotes have been taken with the 250) I personally don't care what you like to shoot them with, or how big of a hole you like to see. The 22-250 is a proven cartridge and works very will keeping fur intact... We sell hundreds or furs a year, and that is our go to cartridge.
We use 60 grain CEB Raptors, and 50 grain Hornady V-MAX, being pushed with 33.5, and 35.5 grains of Varget.
Again shot placement is key.

I'm certainly not questioning your skills and IMO the 22-250 is one of the best predator cartridges ever made but how do you keep those 50gr Vmax from not making big holes? My experience with Vmax bullets, especially when they are zipping along at high velocities, has been they usually leave fur seriously tore up.

50 gr noslers out of a tc venture predator rifle with 33.5 gr of varget is moving a bit over 3300 fps.. Not blistering fast..

these "high velocity" 224 bullets are some that sierra recommends for 22-250 velocities........ sierrabullets.com

sierra says for 1330 .224
.22 Caliber (.224) High Velocity 50 gr. SPT

In rifles, this bullet is fully capable of producing 1/4 minute of angle accuracy at velocities that would destroy most other bullets. Each bullet has the Spitzer point shape and a flat base. This bullet is the choice of many accomplished varmint hunters. It features precisely drawn jackets to assure pinpoint accuracy and reliable expansion, even at maximum ranges. This bullet is slightly "hard" at 222 or 223 Remington velocities, but are especially well suited for velocities from 22-250 and 220 Swift cartridges.

For handguns, while capable of producing traditional Sierra accuracy, this bullet must be considered too "hard" at handgun velocities for anything other than target applications. If your handgun will produce velocities greater than 3000 fps at the muzzle, the 45 grain and 50 grain bullets could be used for hunting varmints out to moderate ranges, but will not have explosive expansion.

sierra 1360

.22 CALIBER (.224) HIGH VELOCITY 55 GR. SPT
In rifles, this bullet is fully capable of producing 1/4 minute of angle accuracy at velocities that would destroy most other bullets. Each bullet has the Spitzer point shape and a flat base. These bullets are the choice of many accomplished varmint hunters. All feature precisely drawn jackets to assure pinpoint accuracy and reliable expansion, even at maximum ranges. This bullet is slightly "hard" at 222 or 223 Remington velocities, but are especially well suited for velocities from 22-250 and 220 Swift cartridges.

For handguns, while capable of producing traditional Sierra accuracy, this bullet must be considered too "hard" at handgun velocities for anything other than target applications. If your handgun will produce velocities greater than 3000 fps at the muzzle, the 45 grain and 50 grain bullets could be used for hunting varmints out to moderate ranges, but will not have explosive expansion.

also look up 1365

50 gr hornady vmax. Ths is what hornady says
Polymer Tip
The polymer tip increases the ballistic coefficient and also initiates dramatic expansion upon impact – even at velocities as low as 1600 fps.

Last edited:
You want the best 22 caliber bullet ever made for fur hunters?

It's the Sierra #1310 45 grain varminter bullet. The jacket is thicker than most varmint bullets to withstand super high velocities. Thicker jacket at high velocity= less pelt damage.

The next 2 best is Sierra 52gr. MK or Berger 52gr. target bullet.

This is for coyote size predators, not small varmints. That #1310 45gr. in a 22-250 or a 220 Swift is just awesome and capable of 1/4 moa accuracy. Until you try it you just won't believe.

Jim D

I shoot 37.5 of Varget under a 50grn Vmax and have not had anyting but dime size entrances. It should be noted I shoot just behind the shoulder for a double lung, they do not take a step.

Back