Armasight CO-LR MG Flag experiences

yoteblaster

I ordered the above clip on night vision. I am looking for anyone that has some experience with this type of unit or one similar so I know what to expect or if their are any issues that I might have to put up with.

Last edited:
Don't have that specific clip-on but do have have a dozen other Clip-Ons.

What day optic are you using it with on with what rifle at what ranges?

I would suggest using a fixed power optic to enable you to learn distance estimation better than varied magnification day optics, I use a dozen ACOGs and ELCANS with all mine.

Should be a great addition to your rifle and night hunting activities.

You'd be best to use it @ a fixed power like 4X to learn how to judge distances with it at night, practice sizing objects at night with it at known distances you measured during the day, changing magnifications warps distance judgements .

Plus image resolution and clarity will degrade rapidly over 4X power for targeting.

With the CO-LR, he's not going to be losing clarity with a maximum magnification of 9x. Also, depending on his AO, he might prefer the ability to zoom in a bit more.

Originally Posted By: JakelWith the CO-LR, he's not going to be losing clarity with a maximum magnification of 9x. Also, depending on his AO, he might prefer the ability to zoom in a bit more.
-
Had a CO-LR Armasight . but Not the Flag model . I will perform great for you. ( what ITT tube is in it ? ) . I like using a low-power adjustable for a clip-on, like 2-12 X , and I normally don't even shoot past 6X for nighttime Coyotes . It ALL depends on the scope model and the conditions your shooting in . Your Armasight CO-LR should go up to 8 or 9 power with good image in the right conditions with right scope .

The CO-LR I had was shorter body clip-on than this longer body Flag model clip-on . I think this Flag model also has a Catadioptric Obj. lends system . That Lens system actually performs great and I shooting a SIMRAD now and there also Cat.Lens, but with a 100mm Obj. . I can crank-up the power on image to the SIMRAD 12x and more with good working image . It all depends on what scope your driving in-front of the clip-on and conditions your shooting in . The Armasight remote stand-by switch you will like also . I used to just pop it on the Pic.Rail on Left side of my helmet for a quick power fire-up with a finger touch .

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterGoing to use a leupold VX-III
-
is that Adjustable Parallax (side or Obj. ) ? . Or a fixed focus . ? .
( my personal use ) with a Clip-on is even though the Clip-on has a focus adjust . I have been lacking the fine adjustment for focal clarity of image with a fixed Fixed/set Parallax .

I Love hunting with low power scopes like 1-6 / 2-10 / 3-12 X . But that is the Rub with low-Power Scopes, a lot of them are built with Fixed Parallax ( like factory set @ 100 yrd. ) .
With a Clip-on, You might find that your Reticle is still nice in focus and bold over the projected image like desired . But when you focus the Clip-on to your target . You still might be seeing and shooting BUT might be lacking that extra fine tuning of focus of the Image, and have a 'slight' fuzz of lacking focus .
Sometimes it a PIA to get your set-up all tuned and working well together but it worth it . Clip-on NV and the Scope is like a team and you want to get a scope that will serve double-Duty . Good Day & complement your NV image @ night .

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterIt's a fixed focus 3x9x40. Any suggestions what may work better? I am all about taking input to save myself time an money
-
it just my preference of suggestion but something not fixed Parallax . go side or Obj focal .
It all depended on your budget, but any low-mid. priced glass, with low-Vari. power range that you trust to hold a POI Zero will be fine . On Clip-on I had a Leu. and a Vortex that worked great . I have a big high magnification USoptic that worked great also . I am thinking about trying a Sightron next . They have a SIII 3.5-10 -44mm that looks pretty killer with a about a 13" OAL .
Don't worry on getting a Lit Reticle, for clip-on, you really don't need that . And what I like is a nice bold Reticle, like a Med. or heavy Duplex . IF you can get one with 1 or 2 MOA Ret. Subtension hold-over lines that you can see good around 6x , all the better .

Was out last 5 night shooting and ( skypup ) does have a point about a fixed 4x power .

Your CO-LR is a longer body Clip-on . And if you were to use a 'short body' scope like acog or elcan . You could move the Clip-on center of gravity more to the rear of the Receiver . even a few inches makes whole different balance and would help the front heavy . So definitely be an the prowl for short OAL design scope in Vari. of fixed x .

Fixed 4X is not a bad thing . And I rarely ever go past 6X for night time calling . I think your biggest friend is also going to 'field of view ' and most definitely you gain that in sticking with the low-power range of Fixed or Variable power .

Back