"Tactical"

Aside from getting coffee at the gas station I rarely see anyone when I am out hunting, so I guess that even if I wanted to look cool there is no one around to see it. I walk enough distance that if I am not using it, I am not carrying it. Like Skinny said, people label things with words to which they do not know the actual meaning. Anyone who served in the Army and went thru PLDC in the last few decades should know these lines from the NCO creed;

“…Competence is my watchword. My two basic responsibilities will always be uppermost in my mind—accomplishment of my mission and the welfare of my Soldiers. I will strive to remain technically and tactically proficient...”

Maybe instead of using the term “tactical” they should substitute the phrase; “secret squirrels”.

Shucks, showin' my age again, but I'm feelin' a bit deprived. We weren't issued them tacticool uniforms in my time, but I sure do really like all them pockets on today's BDU's.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

To avoid being labeled "Tactical" I simply dress up like the Great Pumpkin (see photo to the left). Somehow I still manage to put a few on the ground every year!
smile.gif

Meh, guys dressed like commandos hunting coyotes don't bother me. Sometimes I "gear" up, other times I wear tan shorts and a camo t shirt. As long as they're not throwing rounds in my direction or ruining my hunt, I don't care. It keeps the forums jumping though...haha

I go with what works, and don't worry about what kind of label is put on it. None of my camo is military, and most of it doesn't match. I might be shooting anything from a wood stocked 223 to a "tactical" long range rifle. Just depends on the situation that day and what I feel like carrying. I never carry a pistol.

usually it is just rifle, sticks, cs-24, remote, and there are a couple mouth calls on my remote lanyard. Usually throw 4-5 extra rounds in my pocket.

Sometimes I throw my 511 bag over my shoulder. It is a small bag designed to throw over a shoulder, not a backpack or fanny pack. It rides real nice and easy. But I don't carry it so much for the stuff that is in it, as I do because when I sit down I can flip it up on my thigh and it makes a real good elbow rest while shooting. Under 100 yards I don't think about it. But when shots start getting out 150+ it really steadies up my hold. I do carry my ammo in a 30 round "tactical ammo burrito," so there is that. It is a really handy way to keep it organized and rattle-free on those all day calling sessions.

Most of my rifles have those tactical long range scopes and suppressors too.

So I guess my style is semi-tactical budget redneck.

All joking aside though, I pretty much avoid tactical stuff unless it is something I feel really helps me out. There is good tactical gear out there, that is beneficial. But being a minimalist I don't carry much of it.

Originally Posted By: jcs271To avoid being labeled "Tactical" I simply dress up like the Great Pumpkin (see photo to the left). Somehow I still manage to put a few on the ground every year!
smile.gif

Same reason I started dressing up lime a birthday clown before hunting. Deer are looking out for anything that looks like a hunter.

Legit though, I used to hunt goats on a ranchers land. If I spotted a herd around a windmill and stopped 900 yards away they would bolt the moment the truck door opened. If I drove straight to the windmil, I could get out of the truck and grab one by the short and curlies. Look like a rancher on rancher land, no challenge to the hunt.

Back