Amax as Hunting Bullet

daddyflea

I have been using the 168 AMaax as a hunting bullet for some time now. Generally great results. My Son shot this Hog last night. The bullet went in just behind the ear and came out behind the opposite side front leg. I was surprised it penetrated that far.

5o7290.jpg

I have taken a great number of animals with the Amax and am extremely pleased with its performance on everything up to deer sized game. Too soft for elk.

Unfortunately Hornady elected to create a marketing campaign around its tips and to "fix" its own problem, they discontinued the Amax and replaced it with the ELD at a 30% price increase. In certain instances (338) I'll stay with the ELD, but in most others once I burn the 1500 Amax bullets I stocked up I'll switch to others and Hornady will lose my business.

Originally Posted By: springerI have taken a great number of animals with the Amax and am extremely pleased with its performance on everything up to deer sized game. Too soft for elk.

Unfortunately Hornady elected to create a marketing campaign around its tips and to "fix" its own problem, they discontinued the Amax and replaced it with the ELD at a 30% price increase. In certain instances (338) I'll stay with the ELD, but in most others once I burn the 1500 Amax bullets I stocked up I'll switch to others and Hornady will lose my business.

I have not heard that the Amax was discontinued!!!

Originally Posted By: daddyfleaOriginally Posted By: springerI have taken a great number of animals with the Amax and am extremely pleased with its performance on everything up to deer sized game. Too soft for elk.

Look at Hornady's website. Only 155gr/168gr 30 cal and 750gr 50cal Amax are left in the lineup. All others are GONE and replaced by the significantly more expensive ELD.

Originally Posted By: xphunter168 A-Max's work on hogs

In addition to the 400 I have stocked up, I just ordered 700 more. Just in case.

Originally Posted By: daddyflea

the amax was replaced with the new ELD-M bullet. its the same spec except for the tip material. Same core, same jacket, same weight, just different tip. Thats why they didnt release a load data update when the bullet was initially released like they did with the ELD-X bullet (which is a whole new animal).

when hornady started doing testing with the dopplar radar chronographs they found that the bullet was getting some strange stuff happening down range at extended ranges (like >500 yds type down range). testing proved that in flight the tip was deforming from friction and causing a loss in flight stability for those really pushing into the long range shooting realm.

hence the new heat shield tip technology was born.

hornady explains it better than i do, heres one of the video's the released about it

140 Amaxs were great from my Savage target action out to 600 yards, shoot amazing but past that they would start to really drop off. 140 Berger VLD at 950 yards drop 5moa less than the Amaxs and the Amax groups would open up. I haven't shot the new ELD to compare to the Amax.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: daddyflea

the amax was replaced with the new ELD-M bullet. its the same spec except for the tip material. Same core, same jacket, same weight, just different tip. Thats why they didnt release a load data update when the bullet was initially released like they did with the ELD-X bullet (which is a whole new animal).

when hornady started doing testing with the dopplar radar chronographs they found that the bullet was getting some strange stuff happening down range at extended ranges (like >500 yds type down range). testing proved that in flight the tip was deforming from friction and causing a loss in flight stability for those really pushing into the long range shooting realm.

hence the new heat shield tip technology was born.

hornady explains it better than i do, heres one of the video's the released about it

Funny how just a change to new tip material to fix a supposed flaw in their own design required a substantial increase in price...hence I'll be looking to other options now rather than just defaulting to the AMAX.

Originally Posted By: springer
Funny how just a change to new tip material to fix a supposed flaw in their own design required a substantial increase in price...hence I'll be looking to other options now rather than just defaulting to the AMAX.

The change in the tip material isn't what the price increase was for, the price increase covers all the money they invested into the Doppler radar, ballistic program, the development of the ELD-X and inflation for the next several years. The cost difference of the tip is insignificant but the cost of developing the replacement was substantial since they spent several years working on it.

Also I don't know where everyone keeps getting this massive increase from, the 168 a-max and the 168gr ELD are both 30 bucks a box on Midway. Additionally they are still cheaper than the tipped offerings from Sierra and Nosler along with being significantly cheaper than Berger.

when they first hit the market they were like 43-46 cents per bullet for the 208 eld-m vs 35 cents for the 208 amax. it was a significant jump in price.

midway has them on sale right now for 35 cents per, but the regular market price is still around 39 or 40 a box.

its nice to see that they're normalizing a bit... but there was a 25-30% increase in price initially.

Back