Shotgunning Coyotes ??

Texforce

I tried a search, with no luck......So, my question to you guys who take a lot of coyotes w/shotguns is----Where do you guys aim?? The head or the chest?? I appreciate any input. Good Huntin'

I asked sort of the same question last year. I was aiming for the heart lungs and wasn't happy with how most of the coyotes I shot needed to be shot again. Started aiming for the face as much as possible and started getting way more bang flops.

- DAA

Thanks, guys !! I just did a Google search and found what I was looking for. General consensus seems to be : "aim for the neck/ear area". Thanks again.

When I am shooting at a standing coyote I try to shoot it in the neck. If I center the pattern on the neck at 30 to 40 yards I will be hitting the chest, neck and head. If I hit a little high or a little low I should still be hitting the head or chest.

On running coyotes I just try to put the pattern on them. On running coyotes you should be pointing your shotgun not aiming it.

I have killed many with a shotgun, few were standing still...maybe 3%.

Learn to leade them, keep pulling the trigger if you see any movement at all.

Shooting rounds of skeet really helps a guy learn to hit running coyotes.

On running coyotes within range, I put the bead on their nose and squeeze one off. Face, head and neck are my preferred points of impact. Rarely aiming, mostly pointing the shotgun when stuff is moving.

When instructing my students on clay targets the thing to remember is "Shoot where its going not where it is necessarily."

If they are close and moving slowly you can put it on their nose but as distance and speed of target change you likely will need some space between the barrel and the target. Keep both eyes open and keep the gun moving. Its a shotgun, not a rifle.

Back