Hello from Colorado Newbie

TCR

Hello, I am a newbie from Colorado, I have always hunted coyotes but only in an as the opportunity arises, never to go out and call them. So this year will be different. I have purchased the shockwave, and have a new predator rifle on order. I went with the 223 in a savage axis II it is an engraved one I am getting from https://www.americanlegacyfirearms.c...hunting-rifle/
I kind of splurged on the gun for a fun one to play with.
I am going to hunt north east Colorado and have heard that the area is very tough to hunt. Anyone got any tips or suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome aboard, hope you can get to the convention. My daughter lives in Pueblo so I drive through that country coming down the interstate. It seems I see coyotes just south of the WY border almost every trip. If you apply all the known rules concerning scent/wind, movement on the stand and stealth getting to the stand I can't see why they would be any harder to call there. If it is heavily hunted you might not want to try and call them out into the open but find areas that they can respond to the call with out having to expose themselves very much.

Close cover and small sounds seem to work for me in heavily hunted areas.

if the Pawnee grasslands are your planned destination, then yes, the calling will be tough. Not only does the area get called a lot, but every Tom, Dick, and Harry along the northern front range seem to think that it's the area to go do some target shooting.
If you find any success in the grasslands, it will be earned. Best of luck.

Curious what target shooting has to do with coyote hunting. Gun fire doesn't effect coyotes much unless it is directed at them. Coyotes and deer cross our rifle range all the time, even while shooters are blasting away.

I hunt in places that are heavily hunted by guys attempting to target coyotes and duck hunters shooting all over the place and it is still not that difficult to call coyotes if you don't expect them to come out in the middle of a big open place in the daylight. It is the Desert Wildlife area here in WA. Lots of hunters and semi smart coyotes but they can still be fooled.

Last edited:
Welcome...study your quarry...and get to know your new rifle as well... it sure helps to have absolute confidence in your weapon..

Quote: Coyotes and deer cross our rifle range all the time, even while shooters are blasting away.
Yeah, well how many times have those same coyotes been called and shot at, then come wondering across your range? Being targeted and NOT being hunted are two different animals.
Quote: don't expect them to come out in the middle of a big open place in the daylight. Obviously you've never been to the Pawnee National grasslands, because for the most part, there's is very little cover. So BIG and OPEN would be the best two descriptions of the entire Pawnee. Very little cover taller than buffalo grass for the most part.
As bodeck pointed out, it's not just the target shooting that goes on but it's all the added activity that comes with it.

Everybody hits the Pawnee and Commache grasslands.

People all over the place, from bird watchers, bunny huggers, rock collectors, star gazers as well as ATV enthusiasts and target shooters..

Songdog is correct, lots of traffic..........

Back