I need a new press and te mec single stage looks good

dan158

I started with lee anniversary kit like 4 years ago.. Then about 2 years ago bought the lee classic breech lock.. Both of the lees the wooden knobs fell off them within a week.. The newer lee is getting sloppy at the linkage.. Anyway I decided tonight to get me a new one.. Was looking at the rcbs then I seen the new MEC press.. Looks quite impressive and has great reviews..

So I will be giving it a try instead of the rcbs.. Looks really good and solid with great reviews..
tricked out MEC

MEC

I have also been considering a new press. Redding big boss has been the one I was looking at but I like that me and will have to do some more reading up on it.

Post up your thoughts when it arrives.

Redding Big boss and Big boss II

I really like the way these presses capture the primers.

Mec's look really strong and they capture the primers very well!

Last edited:
I will do.. Some youtube videos on it also.. I seen a youtube that he checked the concentricity after seating the bullet and the run out was less than half a thousands on either side... But quite impressed with what I seen and read so far.. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158I will do.. Some youtube videos on it also.. I seen a youtube that he checked the concentricity after seating the bullet and the run out was less than half a thousands on either side... But quite impressed with what I seen and read so far.. Dan

I think a low run-out number would depend more on a seating die than a press.

I would like to know how the de capped primers are captured. This is a special feature of the Redding Boss II, and the Regular Redding Boss does not send primers all over the floor.

Ever hear a live 215 primer go off in the beater bar of your wife's vacuum cleaner?

Last edited:
Quote:I think a low run-out number would depend more on a seating die than a press.

While the seater die can affect runout, when I was chasing runout to the extreme, I realized that a lot of the cause of runout was induced when pulling the expander ball out of the sizing die. Polishing and/or using a carbide expander improved runout repeatedly.

Your case is only supported 180* in the shell holder, thus the case is allowed to lean slightly as plug pulled through neck. I finally had RCBS ream an old sizing die to achieve proper neck tension without an expander ball on neck turned brass fired in my rifle. Just polishing expander and generous application of graphite inside necks reduced runout; don't remember all the numbers as it's been over 20 years, but suffice it to say, the results were measureable.

That was before they made, or at least before I had heard of bushing dies.

IMO, unless you are shooting benchrest competition, or long range, runout is overblown and, like Johnny Bench, "I don't do that any more".

Quote:Ever hear a live 215 primer go off in the beater bar of your wife's vacuum cleaner?

Unfortunately yes, Keith, and I've had to vacuum my own reloading room ever since!
scared.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI would like to know how the de capped primers are captured. This is a special feature of the Redding Boss II, and the Regular Redding Boss does not send primers all over the floor.

Ever hear a live 215 primer go off in the beater bar of your wife's vacuum cleaner?

It sounds like spent primers go down the inside of the ram like Redding but instead of going all the way out the bottoms they are kicked out the rear of the ram and into a tray.

The more I read up on this press the more I like it. Wish I could handle one in person.

I have several Mec reloaders (all shotgun) and love them.. Years of use and buckets of shells without any issues. Getting it tuned by a pro to start saves a lot of hassle and headache.

The progressive press was a great improvement, and mounted to a plywood base, with pvc collar where they are ejected allowed them to drop into a bucket i placed under it. It didn't take very long to reload a 5 gallon bucket for trap.

It should be a good press for many years.

If you don't like that one, then you might need to go light blue and look at the Dillon presses.

I just listed a MEC 600 Jr, 2 bags of shot, 500 primers, Red Dot, and a big box of hulls on my local Craigslist and FB Marketplace.

I got my press and stand today.. That thing is silky smooth.. No play and very solid.. It feels way better than my cousins RCBs.. It has a hydraulic feeling to it... I am going to enjoy this one.. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158I got my press and stand today.. That thing is silky smooth.. No play and very solid.. It feels way better than my cousins RCBs.. It has a hydraulic feeling to it... I am going to enjoy this one.. Dan

That is good to hear! Is there anything about a warranty in the owners manual? I have been searching online with no luck.

I can take a pic of the limited lifetime warranty and post that tonight.. I have to find me a new photo host first.. Dan.

Below is what it says with my warranty..

Your MEC reloading press, powder trickler, powder measure and other MEC metallic reloading
products have been produced under rigid standards of manufacture. These products are warranted to
be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original owner owns it. This
warranty is extended only to original consumer purchaser and excludes any electrical components or
products as well as any case preparation products. All MEC metallic reloading products are intended
for non-commercial use by hobbyists. Any other use of these products will void the warranty.
In the event that your MEC reloading product is found to be defective in material or workmanship,
MEC will repair or replace it (at MEC’s option) at no charge. Should you believe that your MEC
reloading product is defective in material or workmanship, please return it postage or freight prepaid
along with dated proof of purchase, product information and reason for return to the below address.
Also be sure certain your product is properly packaged to protect it from possible damage in transit.
Mayville Engineering Company
Reloader Division – Warranty
715 South Street
Mayville, WI 53050
Warranty services cannot be provided without meeting the above requirements.
THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER DEFECTS OR DAMAGE RESULTING
FROM: CARELESSNESS, MISUSE, COMMERCIAL USE, ABUSE, IMPROPER INSTALLATION,
MODIFICATION, OR NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY IS IN
LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT
LIMITATION OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
MEC IS NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE
PRODUCT AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL MEC BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL
OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES. HOWEVER, SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON
CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY
NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Last edited:
Back