Glock 17 Gen 4

cclark

I am a reserve deputy for my local sheriff dept. We are switching from the Glock 22 to the Glock 17. As a reserve we have to buy our weapon. I can get a Gen 4 Glock 17 with night sights for 409 bucks through the dept. Or I can go out and find a Gen 3 on my own. Which way would you go? I have had no issues with my 22 or my 19, and I do not mind spending more if needed on a Gen 3. Thanks Chris

I had a Gen 4 and had no issues with it. I don't shoot pistols much but it seemed typical Glock to me. I have a 26 now and its the same. Shoots good and goes bang everytime you pull the trigger.

I have over 80,000 rounds through my Gen 3 G17 and it's still going strong. Imho the Gen 3 was the pinnacle. Too many gadgety trinkets on the Gen 4

I have a gen 3 I have been carring on duty for 14 years with zero issues. I do not like the new gen 4 triggers they are different they pull different. The salesman pulled mine and then the 4 and agreed. Go gen 3

Thanks everyone. I suspect the Gen 4 will perform just fine, I am curious about the trigger.

Last edited:
Triggers can be changed and/or worked on. Either gun will serve you well but if I could save over $100 on the Gen4 through the Blue Label that's the direction I'd go. First thing I'd do is shoot 1K rounds through it. If it's gonna screw up most likely it'll do so in the first thousand rounds. Having said that I did have a dozen Gen2 G22 pistols break extractors somewhere between 1,200 - 1,500 rounds. My unit was going through a high risk warrant entry training and we were doing a lot of shooting crammed into a week long course when the extractor issue happened. Swapped out the extractors as they broke and finished the training. A call to Glock revealed there was a bad run of extractors and ejectors. Glock sent me what I needed to retro fit our department guns and we never had other issues. I've had other handguns break small parts too and all those were between 200 - 800 rounds. When I buy a new gun I clean, lube and shoot the crap outta it before I think about it as a keeper. Once I get 1K+ rounds on it trouble free I feel I can relax and consider it reliable. Only then do I consider making changes or spending more money on it. That applies to AR's also.

Good advice GC! I had an old 17 and God only knows how many rounds were shot through it before I got it. What I do know is it got shot pretty regularly and I cleaned it occasionally and it never fail to perform. I don't shoot thousands of rounds through mine but it never failed once. I have since downsized to a Gen3, 26, and it seems to be every bit as reliable as the 17 was.

Agree with the "Get the Gen 4" responses...If you prefer the rougher texture grip, and the oversized mag release. Some people prefer the Gen 3 ergonomics...I don't. For reliability, my G17 Gen4 has been flawless, from thousands of rounds of bunny fart ammo shot in competitions and practice, to full power SD loads, shot in my regular SD practice sessions.

Squeeze

Back